Advice on potential purchase of a 16MS

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
alanengineer

Re: Advice on potential purchase of a 16MS

Post by alanengineer »

It £2500 now. I just wonder if someone is buying it after seeing it or buying it blind and trusting the word of the seller. At least the bidding on it looks genuine.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

He's added this note now..........

On 12-Jul-17 at 19:36:18 BST, seller added the following information:

I have had so much interest in my bike I have decided to reduce my reserve price to give everybody a chance to bid on it .

His Reserve price is never known by bidders anyway so that's no benefit as everyone could already bid at any time, but what a kind thought. ;)
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

SPRIDDLER wrote:He's added this note now..........

On 12-Jul-17 at 19:36:18 BST, seller added the following information:

I have had so much interest in my bike I have decided to reduce my reserve price to give everybody a chance to bid on it .

His Reserve price is never known by bidders anyway so that's no benefit as everyone could already bid at any time, but what a kind thought. ;)
OK time for a bid then? But we know he wants £3,600.00 but I recon it's worth £2,750.00 but he has turned down my offer.
Roy
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Hmm, I AM surprised he didn't accept your offer.

Yes, why not increase your bid by £250 and round it up to say, £500?
Although he has declared a 'Buy it Now' price of £3,800 (not £3600) no-one knows where he has set his Reserve.

It shows 51 people 'Watching', but probably most are watching just for entertainment as there are too many grunty Wimbledon women on t' T.V.
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

I did email him as a potential purchaser, praising the bike and asked him [politely] why the dynamo wasn't connected. He replied, giving me the mobile number of his 'mechanic' and suggested I ring him as he could give me all the details. He also said that if I was really interested, for a £50 non-refundable deposit, he'd take it off eBay and we could 'do a deal'. I didn't pursue it :)
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

It's a shame that it all sounds so 'iffy', e.g: 'Rare', 'my mechanic' 'do a deal', 'perfect running order' etc. I know photos generally flatter a bike, but IF it was otherwise in useable order and one had the knowledge and some skill to do a few inevitable jobs oneself it could be a reasonable buy at £2500, but it would be advisable to be cautious and assume that it might need a fair amount of (costly?) mechanical attention. It's a chance that it used to belong to club member (who's keeping his head down!).
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

Hopefully, if it does get to its reserve and gets sold, the new owner will become a member and tell us that we were all wrong. I like nice dreams
kernow kid

Post by kernow kid »

I still keep thinking that the nicely blued pipe should suggest it's managed a few miles reliably...in the day time!! But maybe that was pre 'restoration'...I'm almost tempted to enquire and have a chat with his mechanic!!
Regards kk
Top tip - if it needs more than 2 bolts to hold it on, its probably important...
spurrea

Post by spurrea »

Kernow Kid,
It would be interesting if you did speak to his mechanic but watch out he may be a ventriloquist
The bid is currently standing at £2599
He is becoming more of a dictator with his latest add on'if anyone with zero feedback or new comers must email or phone me first or your bids will be cancelled. Plus anyone with less then 20 feedback must contact me'
I do not feel there will be a posited outcome
Andy
kernow kid

Post by kernow kid »

Hi Andy,
He is sounding more desperate by the day and I think he's worked out that his dabble into classic bikes to make a quick buck may not be as easy as he thought! Also I'm feeling that the bike stands him in at least 3 grand and he's pretty desperate to see that back. Ironically, if he'd advertised it honestly, with known faults, it would probably have gone up near 3. I also notice he's selling a new old stock, still in its box Smith's Speedo!
Regards kk
Top tip - if it needs more than 2 bolts to hold it on, its probably important...