Petrol tank options

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Pharisee

Petrol tank options

Post by Pharisee »

As I've mentioned on here before, I'm currently rebuilding a 1954 Matchless G3/LS which I bought earlier this year as a 'basket case'. I'd like to build it up as more of a trials / trail riding bike rather than a pure road tourer. To achieve that sort of look, I'd like to fit a smaller, less bulky petrol tank. The frame has the usual four point mounting for rubber bushes and bolts up from underneath. Is there a smaller tank which will fit, or could be made to fit, without a lot of fabrication or welding? I don't really want to make changes to the frame that would mean that any future 'keeper' couldn't put it back to 'standard'.

Thanks
John
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
alanengineer

Re: Petrol tank options

Post by alanengineer »

I think the early trials tank will fit straight on. Best of luck in finding one and join the long queue.
raffles

Post by raffles »

contact 39 speed twin (Dudley) he had some made
Tony
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Dudley's tanks sold almost as soon as they were made.
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

I think they are still being made in the secret Essex location but to a new supplier.
Roy
kernow kid

Post by kernow kid »

Well...I've been here and I'm sort of reluctant to give this nugget away....but a late 80s honda cg125 tank does a passible impression of the comp tank...needs modding to fit but definitely an option.
Regards kk
Top tip - if it needs more than 2 bolts to hold it on, its probably important...
Triumph-Legend

Post by Triumph-Legend »

Matchless / AJS four bolt frame fixing. eBay item number: 162089498767

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-MATCHLESS ... 1438.l2649

The early comp tank is a different shape to the later tanks and are like hens teeth to find. If you do find one it will not be cheap, at least a few hundred pounds for anything half way decent.

I think you will find that a great many steel and aluminium fuel tanks supplied by UK sellers are in fact produced in India. There are a few UK manufacturers but I don't know of any producing a tank with a four bolt fixing. I think the Indian part on Ebay may be a good bet.

Just a note. A friend has bought two Ariel Square Four tanks, (chromed), and one BSA tank and all have been very good quality. I have also seen a large batch of AMC comp tanks and again, fine quality.

Note. The later shape tank with the two pegs on the rear will be too narrow at the rear to cover the rear tank mounting brackets on the frame. You do need a tank that accepts the four mounting bolts. Also, check bolt and spacer length when fitting. I have seen plenty of tanks damaged by ham fisted fitting with excessively long bolts or short spacers. Check before fitting.
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

Thanks for all the info... Food for thought :)

John
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.