Fitting for the oil tank.

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Rob Harknett

Re: Fitting for the oil tank.

Post by Rob Harknett »

Rons 53 twin tank looks very much like the tank used on the 53 single also.
Ashampoo_Snap_2017.09.18_19h11m11s_002_.png
From 36 to 55 there were many different types of this tank. Frame fittings, pipe arrangements and caps. There were the early internal expanding and push on and turn caps, I believe also compt caps. Not sure about those but easy to check parts lists if you really need to know. As for the various pipe fittings, these also can be seen in parts lists. So if your tank fits the frame OK. You should be able to see from fittings, which fittings you will need to make use of the tank.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

REW wrote:So, were comp singles fitted with a twin roadster tank at the time?
All 53 models seem to have the same tank Ron. Seen on sales cats. ( With the S bent pipe but not 54 )
ajsph

Post by ajsph »

Scan.jpg
the filter position changed in 54, in 54 it is in a rear position of the filler, in 53 it is behind the filler the 54 oil tank is a one year item.
Poul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

55 also a one year item for tank and battery carrier, as frame fitting differed. Two long bolts go through the carrier and screw into the oil tank.
GOLDSTAR

Post by GOLDSTAR »

I'm pretty sure there is a small filter on the supply side which goes up in the tank, I got a filter but had to fabricate the tank connection in fact I'm pretty sure I soldered the filter into the fitting. Not gonna take it to bits to have a look now though!. kind regards
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

Have I inadvertently opened a small can of worms here? :D

My tank has the felt filter chamber directly behind the filler cap. It also had a gauze filter that fitted into the feed connection on the bottom of the tank. This gauze filter appears to be held in position by the rubber pipe that connects the tank to the engine feed pipe. I should maybe add that although the bike is a '54 model year, it actually left the factory on the 8th September 1953.

I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
Group Leader

Post by Group Leader »

My 53 single also has the cranked return pipe and filter inline (more or less) with the filler (Ah the convienence of the modern mobile phone!)

I'm guessing the fitting must be a sort of union; screwed into the tank with a Dowty or copper seal and then the pipe with a nipple on it is held onto the union with what looks like a union nut.

I'm sure there must be a parts list somewhere round here.

Alan
OIl Tank 1.JPG
Oil Tank 2.JPG
1953 AJS 16MS, 1939 BSA 250 and a 1/3 scale Sopwith Triplane but that's another story ..... :lol:
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I think you'll find the fitting is integral to the pipe and seals with a cone seat, much the same as the return line fitting to the crank case, (no Dowty or fibre washer).

Take a look at page 47 of the 1953 AJS parts list for inspiration, part number 018129.

Regards Mick
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

There is the large filter that goes in the top of the tank, also a gauze filter on a pipe inside the tank, like a petrol tap has. All in the parts list.