Age related registration

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Pharisee

Age related registration

Post by Pharisee »

Have any of you successfully applied for an age related registration number for an old bike?

The G3/LS that I'm currently rebuilding came without any registration documents and I've no idea what the original registration number was so at some point in the (hopefully) not too distant future, I will need to apply for an 'age related' registration.
I've got the necessary form (V55/5) and the 'guide to filling it in' (V355/5) but it looks a bit daunting. It's asking for a lot of information that I have no idea how to get and it looks like most of it is unrelated to a 1950s motorcycle anyway. (Axle track width, Euro status directive no., etc and a lot of other stuff that it says I can get from the certificate of conformity or ISA/MSVA certificate.

If anyone has been through all this and can offer any help it would be much appreciated.

Thanks
John
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
bitza

Re: Age related registration

Post by bitza »

When bike is finished complete get in touch with dating officer, he will verify frame engine numbers I e bike as left
Works or a bitza. When you have the details applying for age related reg is straight forward you need to send dvla
Photos of right and left side of bike hope this helps, dating officer will give you more info.
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

bitza wrote:When bike is finished complete get in touch with dating officer, he will verify frame engine numbers I e bike as left
Works or a bitza. When you have the details applying for age related reg is straight forward you need to send dvla
Photos of right and left side of bike hope this helps, dating officer will give you more info.
Yeah... I've got a dating certificate (The frame, engine and gearbox are all original from the same bike) and photos will be no problem... It's filling in the V55/5 that I'm going to have trouble with. I'm not good with forms and bureaucracy. Have you actually done it or are you just going on 'hearsay'? From what I can see, it's not a 'straight forward' case of sending photos and a dating certificate to the DVLA. There's a lot of other stuff as well including proofs of identity, address, ownership etc. plus all the information required on the V55/5.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I was in a similar boat to you when it came to filling in the documentation - the V55 appeared to be irrelevant in a lot of cases - one call to Roy, (The dating Officer), had it sorted in minutes :D

Regards Mick
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

Mick D wrote:Hi

I was in a similar boat to you when it came to filling in the documentation - the V55 appeared to be irrelevant in a lot of cases - one call to Roy, (The dating Officer), had it sorted in minutes :D

Regards Mick
Okey dokey... Thanks. When the time comes, I'll give him a call. The bike isn't quite ready yet.

Cheers
John
les ward

Post by les ward »

I have filled out loads of these and most of the categories you can leave blank, as they refer to modern vehicles. The DVLA use these for the data that goes on the V5C (logbook), so if you leave it blank, it will just be blank on that section of the logbook.
Roy will have up to date info on the areas you need to fill in, but the majority can be left blank.So you don't need to worry, as it is pretty painless.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I do believe a lot of forms now are read by robots. So they will have parts to complete that will not apply to all users of them. Bank paying in slips, Tax returns forms, driving licence etc etc. You just fill in the question that apply, leave the rest blank. Some will insist you use BLACK ink pens. I came up against that with a Post Office form I completed at home using a blue biro pen. I had to do it all again with a black ink pen. It did state on the form complete in black ink. But we don't always read all those notes.
bitza

Post by bitza »

Yes speak to Roy he will give the Info,I also I spoke with a nice lady at D V L A who was clued up her dad had just finished a Velocette so she knew what I was asking about, the reg number is sent to you first and the docs come a short time after with any papers you have sent to support your claim for the age related reg, so don' t sweat on it,its fairly straight forward hope you find this helpful
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

Thanks for your help and reassurance. I shall go forward with confidence. :D