Problems Fitting New Lower Bushes on Girling Units

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
20/40

Problems Fitting New Lower Bushes on Girling Units

Post by 20/40 »

Has anyone had problems replacing "Neoprene Lower Bushes" on Girlings ? I have checked the search option which resulted in no posts other than the New Top Bushes being Too Long which mine are also Too Long. I have Bought New Bushes from the spares scheme for my Girlings and fitted the Top ones with ease but note they need reducing to fit in the frame.
My Patience is running out with the simple task of replacing the Lower Bushes :headbang: The New Bushes .....(purchased from the club) .... fit the Shock on their own which is a loose fit ..... which is acceptable...... However when the Steel Inserts are Fitted into the New Bushes it seems impossible to press them home? either the use of a press or nut and bolt as a compression unit fails? the Neoprene appears too soft and is just like ... eating a Custard Slice .... the Custard squidges out ..... so there is no control over the fitting of the Bush as it just gets chewed up.
I have tried fitting the bush first then pushing the insert in second but still the same sort of distortion prevents a simple task being achieved if there is another option can someone let me know please.
My concerns are that the Neoprene is too soft and will not hold the weight of the bike ? Any feedback appreciated.
Stuoyb

Re: Problems Fitting New Lower Bushes on Girling Units

Post by Stuoyb »

They are tight.
I fit them to the lower eye first and then fit the steel tube nut with a light smear of red rubber grease.
20/40

Re: Problems Fitting New Lower Bushes on Girling Units

Post by 20/40 »

Thank you "Stuoyb" The Unit I am referring to has the ( Aluminium clevis bottom ) ...... I forgot to mention that point as there are two versions the standard version has the same type of bush on both ends, But Yes that is How to fit the bush as you describe thank you. regards Barrie.