Amal carb air filter for 16MS 1956

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
spurrea

Re: Amal carb air filter for 16MS 1956

Post by spurrea »

raffles wrote:If after reading the replies you still want a filter it is possible to buy a screw on bellmouth which incorporates a fine mesh only filter
which will keep out solids but not mess up the carburation OR you can buy a triumph type filter that screws on to the carb but will
definitely affect the mixture
Tony
Thanks Raffles
arcturus

Post by arcturus »

I'm in the process of restoring a -54 G3L at the moment. I will be using this filter: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Blan ... 1911111096

It seems to fit between the carb and the oil tank. It needs some modifications to work though. It has a foam filter element that seems quite "open" and will probably not restrict the air flow by much. Why run without air filter and risk things getting sucked into the engine?
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

I too ran the Matchless from the mid 1970's to last year with an Amal Concentric and no air filter. I did do quite a lot of miles as the Marchless was my sole transport. I'm in North Yorkshire and my extended family were all in the South East. I did wear out piston and bore with rebore to +20 and subsequently +40.

Now have a new Monobloc (from AMOC spares) and re-sleeved barrel / new standard piston. No air filter. Only just got the mixture about right (left it rich while running in).

No plans to fit air filter immediately but have one to fit in advance of IJR if I make it to Spain then Portugal; plan to go over the top rather than coast and expect there maybe dusty conditions?

If Sweden is anything like riding to the IJR in Denmark then it's all beautifully clean and motorcycling is a joy.

Johnny B
spurrea

Post by spurrea »

raffles wrote:If after reading the replies you still want a filter it is possible to buy a screw on bellmouth which incorporates a fine mesh only filter
which will keep out solids but not mess up the carburation OR you can buy a triumph type filter that screws on to the carb but will
Tony
Well, I know I didn't need one but thought I would look at the Bellmouth and rather liked the look of it so fitted the one in the pic
Bellmouth Amal 376 Filter.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Pollution was much worse years ago, every house burning solid fuels. You could not go far on a bike without getting filthy. Worse if you wore goggles. When you took off the goggles, two nice clean eyes, showed just how dirty the rest of your face was.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

spurrea wrote:
Tony
Well, I know I didn't need one but thought I would look at the Bellmouth and rather liked the look of it so fitted the one in the pic
Bellmouth Amal 376 Filter.jpg
That is not much use as a dust filter, only stop you dropping a nut in the carb or a stone. Sweep an handful of road grit & dust and use it as a sieve. What little it may stop going in the engine, will probably be particles larger than air borne grit and dust.
poplargreg

Post by poplargreg »

Tony

Mesh one will also stop your carb bursting into flames if you are in the habit of flooding it and trying to start with the ignition over advanced
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Good point, Greg.

The frame cover behind the carb needs re=painting as it shows just how hard I tried to do excarly what you say before I fitted the Monobloc and got the ATD working.

Johnny B
spurrea

Post by spurrea »

That is not much use as a dust filter, only stop you dropping a nut in the carb or a stone. Sweep an handful of road grit & dust and use it as a sieve. What little it may stop going in the engine, will probably be particles larger than air borne grit and dust.
But I heeded your advice Rob, I don't live in a desert and don't need a filter because we have cleaner air. I just fitted it because it looks nice and will stop the odd bit of grit flying in....
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

i've not fitted air filters to any of my bike , yes an air filter will make the bike sound quieter ( less intake noise) and the carburettor last longer with less waer to the piston / liner in the long term
however the chances are that before you see any of this the bike will belong to some one else !

Ive just fitted a new monoblock to my G11 , yes it starts easier , idle's better and I haven't fitted a air cleaner to that