Leaking teledraulic on 1960 H/W

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Expat

Leaking teledraulic on 1960 H/W

Post by Expat »

Can't quite get my head around this one, so silly though it may be, I'm know you guys will have the (probably) obvious answer.

L/H fork is producing a tiny amount of oil, but from the area where the headlight bracket shroud meets the lower (painted) tube. My question is, how does oil get up there without first leaking from the top of the chromed tube that screws into the bottom leg?

Sorry for the lack of proper names, trying to rush and can't think of them :oops: :oops:

TIA

Steve
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)
ajscomboman

Re: Leaking teledraulic on 1960 H/W

Post by ajscomboman »

I suspect it's leaking from the chrome top cap of the fork leg. There should be a rubber sealing ring which fits into a machined recess and this is then compressed slightly when the top cap is screwed in. Without this in place it's possible for oil to creep around the threads and then leak out down the fork leg seeping out between the area you are having issues with. Unscrew the chrome cap from the fork leg and check that it's in there and the damper rod is still attached. If the ring is missing you can use PTFE tape to seal the threads. That's the only possible way oil can get that high.
McBob

Post by McBob »

Just fitted these today on my rebuild, 014355 TOP SEALING RING.
Expat

Post by Expat »

Thanks for the responses guys, I'll have a closer look. At least it sounds like an easy fix, better than leaky fork seals!
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)