Clutch advice please

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
P K Gray

Clutch advice please

Post by P K Gray »

I have a recently acquired 1960 AFS G3.
The clutch is proving difficult in that with the springs adjusted to prevent slipping the lever is incredibly hard to pull in.
I have lubricated the cable and eased off the springs giving a reasonable lever pull but now have slipping on acceleration.
Hopefully I have attached 2 photos.
To me the basket looks to have room for an additional clutch plate.
I am anticipating purchasing new plates but am not sure how many plates there should be - in each pattern steel and lined ?

Any advice, part numbers etc much appreciated.

Pete
Mick D

Re: Clutch advice please

Post by Mick D »

Hi

My 61 G3 has three of each, friction and plain, no problem with slipping.

Some things to check:

Is the primary chaincase oil level correct? - it should be just touching the bottom of the chain at it's lowest point

Is there some free play in the clutch rod? - check the adjuster at the clutch centre and position of the operating lever inside the gearbox cover, if there's no play the rod will prevent the clutch closing fully. If the operating lever is at the wrong position it can result in a heavy action.

Ditto for free play at the lever, (confirm after you have set the clutch rod).

Do you have the correct handlebar clutch lever, it should be 7/8" from pivot to where the cable attaches? a greater distance will give a heavier action.

Failing all of the above:

Are the plates glazed with burned oil, caused by the clutch slipping? - 'Scotchbright' will remove glaze from the plain plates, acetone / brake cleaner is good for the friction plates.

If you go to the archive here:

http://archives.jampot.dk/

You can source / download the relevant parts and instruction manuals - don't miss the '57 - '64 Workshop Manual :) , they're all under 'books'

Regards Mick