Clutch 'pack' size

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Dreverl1

Clutch 'pack' size

Post by Dreverl1 »

Hi All,

I am helping a friend with his 1953 model 16 and I was wondering if you could help as Ive never worked on one of these before.

The clutch 'clicks' badly in the gearbox when you pull the handle. The cable adjuster at the gearbox is at its maximum and when I take the inspection cover off, the click seems to be a ball bearing crunching with what looks to be something turning inside???

Im wondering if the clutch pack is too worn and the mechanism is not operating in the correct 'window'? I can measure approximately 4mm between the top of the clutch basket and the first metal plate, does that sound right?

Ive taken a few pictures and thought it would be good if someone that knows what its supposed to look like might see something wrong? How do I attach a picture?

Any help would be much appriciated

Cheers
Andrew
SPRIDDLER

Re: Clutch 'pack' size

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Hi Andrew.
It's a common situation. The balls are overrunning the adjuster plates. The clutch needs adjusting. Be aware that the cable adjuster only adjusts the cable NOT the clutch.
The clutch release mechanism is at the kickstart side. It comprises 3 balls that are sandwiched between two plates. One plate has 3 ramps. When the plate is turned by operating the clutch cable the balls run up the ramps and force the plates apart. One plate contacts the clutch thrust rod which passes right through the gearbox to the clutch and separates the clutch plates.
You need to completely free off the cable. Better still disconnect it from the actuating lever at the kickstart side - you can do this by poking a finger into the oil filler hole or with a screwdriver or fine nosed pliers. Then at the other side (clutch side) undo the clutch adjustment locknut (a plug spanner fits nicely) in the centre of the clutch pressure plate and screw in the adjuster until it touches the end of the clutch thrust rod. Screw it up hard initially to take up any slack/gap and ensure that the other end is pressing against the actuating plates. Then unscrew it a quarter to half a turn and lock it with the locknut. Then refit and adjust the cable.
Have a look at the Workshop or Owners Manual here, under 'Books'.

http://archives.jampot.dk/

I've just discovered that all my waffling is written up with illustrations in the link below . It's for a '54 but the same clutch as '53. See page 46 et sub.

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Owners_m ... ingles.pdf
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Dreverl1

Post by Dreverl1 »

Hi Spriddler,

Perfect, thanks for all that info.

I'll have a look at all that info and make magic happen... ;)

Hopefully another AJS back on the road

Thanks for your help
Andrew
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dreverl1

Post by Dreverl1 »

Hi Spriddler,

All sorted now...

The cable is no longer at its full extent, the clutch disengages evenly and theres no click!!!

Clutch DONE!!!

Thanks for your help

Cheers
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

It still looks like you have a lot of adjustment left on the clutch thrust rod. If you have very little adjustment left on the cable, I would slacken off the cable adjustment, then take up play by screwing in the thrust rod / clutch adjuster screw on the clutch.
Dreverl1

Post by Dreverl1 »

Hi Rob,

Ah, thats the before photo. As you say, Ive done exactly what you say and screwed it in.

When I re-check it with the engine running (for slip), Ill take an 'after' photo and post it.

Thanks for your help

Cheers
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Excellent.
You've probably worked this out for yourself, but I check for clutch slip (especially to save getting kitted up for foul weather) by putting the front wheel against the shed wall and trying to drive forward. The clutch springs only need to be applying enough pressure to prevent slip. Too much pressure and all that it will do is just increase the hand strength needed to operate it.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'