Clutch plate configuration

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
arcturus

Clutch plate configuration

Post by arcturus »

Hi all!
I'm restoring a 1954 rigid frame Matchless G3, and I've gotten stuck with the clutch. My bike had 5 friction plates and 6 steel plates fitted in the clutch basket (5 spring B52). There is not enough room for this arrangement on my bike. When the clutch is engaged the outermost steel plate "falls off" the hub and stops the spring plate from returning properly when the clutch is released. I've measured the steel plates and their thickness is 1,7mm (I'm swedish and my calipers are metric :D ). In the member spare shop the thin type of plate is .038" or 0,95mm, and the thicker plates .060"/ 1,52mm. All steel plates on my bike are of the same type, and they are not worn in any visible way.

Can anyone tell me the correct arangement for my bike? How many plates and what thickness? Should there be a thicker plate at the bottom of the stack?

I have been trying to find information about this but I'm just getting more confused. Help!
clive

Re: Clutch plate configuration

Post by clive »

There were two depths of clutch centre. One for the 350 one for the 500 different number of plates. The original back plate was thicker and one side was recessed. Needs to be fitted the correct way round.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

arcturus wrote:I have been trying to find information about this but I'm just getting more confused. Help!
You only have to refer to the readily available documentation...........

For a 350cc clutch:

5 plain
4 friction
See page 23 of Parts List for 1954 singles: http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Spares_l ... ingles.pdf
54 clutch plates.JPG
It's all described in the 1954 Owners Manual. Page 45: http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Owners_m ... ingles.pdf
Assembling 54 clutch (640x206).jpg
Your post says a 1954 G3 (350cc) but your Profile says 1954 G80S (500cc). :? :?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
arcturus

Post by arcturus »

SPRIDDLER wrote:Your post says a 1954 G3 (350cc) but your Profile says 1954 G80S (500cc). :? :?
Yes... I've got one of each... Both 1954. The G80S is awaiting restoration. Started with the G3 as I think the rigid frame models are much prettier. I'm about 75% done, and it is already looking fantastic. Thought I had included both in my profile...

Soo, no thick plate at the bottom then? Just five .060"/1,5mm steel plates and four friction plates. Funny/confusing thing though is that my G80 has got the exact same clutch basket and hub as the G3 I'm working on... Seems like the G80 I've got has the wrong clutch, and the G3 had too many plates fitted.