Oil circulation problems

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
P K Gray

Oil circulation problems

Post by P K Gray »

I took my AFS G3 on a 15 mile run today having recently completed a general tidy up.
As I parked up a local builder remarked on the smokey exhaust which I hadn't noticed and certainly wasn't evident previously.
On revving the standing bike there were clouds of smoke from the exhaust.
There also looked to be a heavy oil leak from the crankcase which I suspect was probably from the breather.
I removed the sump plug which released more than 1/4 pint of engine oil - wet sump !
This drew me to check the oil tank return, no flow at all !
I think I'm fortunate in not seizing the engine which was still running freely but am now faced with a search for the culprit.
Oil pump being the likely candidate ?
I would appreciate any advice on fault finding
Rob Harknett

Re: Oil circulation problems

Post by Rob Harknett »

It seems you have an oil pump problem. The sump level will be about 1/4 pint or more. Any more that that the bike will smoke a lot. Bit like when your bike has been standing and sumped oil. When you start it up it will smoke a lot, until it returns the excess sumped oil, bringing the oil in the sump to its correct level. You may of cause have a blockage. So at least do the easy bit first. Check and clean the oil filter.
P K Gray

Post by P K Gray »

Rob Harknett wrote:It seems you have an oil pump problem. The sump level will be about 1/4 pint or more. Any more that that the bike will smoke a lot. Bit like when your bike has been standing and sumped oil. When you start it up it will smoke a lot, until it returns the excess sumped oil, bringing the oil in the sump to its correct level. You may of cause have a blockage. So at least do the easy bit first. Check and clean the oil filter.
Thanks Rob,
I'm new to this bike and to Matchless engineering!
The filter is a type I've not come across before, a sort of gauze tube pushed into the oil feed tank outlet?
I'll check this when my bike is back home but in reading the manual and comments I realise I removed the pump guide pin to cure an oil leak so am wondering if I've made a cock up in replacing it?
Can the pump plunger be withdrawn to check it's condition - the drawing looks as though there's a threaded hole in the plunger end to enable extraction ?
clive

Post by clive »

Almost certain if you removed the pump guide pin then it has not gone back in place properly. The pin has a recess one end. This must go into the holder not sit into the pump. When you take the pin Out, the pump can slide forward and the pin will then not re-engage in the slot. You
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
clive

Post by clive »

The pump needs to be removed from the rear plate end. There is not a lot of room with the engine in place.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix