G3/LS Rebuild completed.... First impressions.

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Pharisee

G3/LS Rebuild completed.... First impressions.

Post by Pharisee »

Over the last few days I've managed to put about 100 miles on the clock (more about that later) since she became 'street legal' and I have to admit that I'm pleased with the result of the last 18 months work. Considering what I started with, I think she's turned out rather well. She starts easily and with the new Monobloc carburettor, settles down to a nice even tick-over. I've used a later AMC clutch and gearbox in place of the original Burman items, which lowered the overall gear ratio so I used an 18 tooth final drive sprocket instead of the standard 16 tooth sprocket which, with the larger 42 tooth AMC clutch sprocket, has the effect of raising the overall top gear from 5.83:1 to 5.44:1
She pulls away from a standing start easily enough and is revving very modestly at 40mph in top gear. I have to 'run her in' a bit as the bore and piston are new so I'm keeping the speed down to around 40-45mph with an occasional short burst to put the rings under a bit of pressure. I'm confident that T & L Engineering have honed the newly sleeved barrel to the correct size and there is no sign of the piston tightening up in the bore.
There have been a few 'niggles'... The clutch pushrod adjusting nut unscrewed itself (as mentioned in another thread) but that may well have been my fault for not doing it up properly. The reproduction rear chain guard that I got from AMC Classic Spares had to come off and be modified as the front mounting brackets weren't quite in the right place and the guard was fouling the rear chain and making a right clatter. Today, the speedometer started playing up. It had been overhauled and re-calibrated by Chronometric Instrument Services and looked superb. At 66 miles on the clock, both the main odometer and the trip odometer stopped working. The speedometer was still indicating road speed but developed an increasingly loud 'squeak'. CIS have said that they will do any repairs 'under warranty' so it's been sent back to them.
I'm really looking forward to putting more miles on her. She sounds lovely, if a little loud, but really is quite quiet mechanically. The AMC gearbox is a joy to use... much better than the clunky Burman box on my 500cc AJS.
Yep.... I'm really quite satisfied!! Bring on the next project.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
Mick D

Re: G3/LS Rebuild completed.... First impressions.

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I have an Armours exhaust and silencer which I'm convinced is significantly louder than the original, which I last heard over 40 years ago, and my chain guard needs attention too. Does yours need to move inwards?

Regards Mick
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

Mick D wrote:Hi

I have an Armours exhaust and silencer which I'm convinced is significantly louder than the original, which I last heard over 40 years ago, and my chain guard needs attention too. Does yours need to move inwards?

Regards Mick
My exhaust came from Feked. It is quite loud but I don't have an original one to compare it with.
The chain guard has two little angle brackets at the front. The one on the outer side of the guard goes above the swinging arm, the one on the inner side of the guard goes below the swinging arm with a bolt through the lot. It was the lower bracket that was not quite right. It was pulling the inner side of the guard too close to the chain run.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Thanks John

It sounds like I have a similar problem - the chain is pretty close to the inner side of the guard and sometimes contacts it on uneven roads, I'll investigate further when the weather breaks.

Regards Mick
Expat

Post by Expat »

Pharisee wrote:
Mick D wrote:Hi

Regards Mick
My exhaust came from Feked. It is quite loud but I don't have an original one to compare it with.
The chain guard has two little angle brackets at the front. The one on the outer side of the guard goes above the swinging arm, the one on the inner side of the guard goes below the swinging arm with a bolt through the lot. It was the lower bracket that was not quite right. It was pulling the inner side of the guard too close to the chain run.

Hi. My exhaust came from Feked too and while it fits and looks good, I felt it was louder than I wanted. It doesn't have the pepper pot type of pipe end, so is quite a bit shorter than the original system I took off and still have, which was pretty muted.

I bought two styles of baffle tube from Feked and the first one I tried made quite a difference, though nowhere near as quiet as the original, but I'm happy with it.

Hope this helps.
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)