1962 Ignition timing

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Peter Morris

Re: 1962 Ignition timing

Post by Peter Morris »

Thanks Rob, I will look into that. There was some confusion with the valve timing, what with it being a roadster bottom end an a comp top end...... so maybe. The timing marks (dots) on the cams were nothing like the manuals said they should be... not sure what cams I actually have.

Mine was a 'revvy little bugger' too before the rebuild, and now seems not to be.

Pete,
Haha, you know full well I cannot afford that to happen. :|
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

On the subject of ignition timing, does anyone know if there is an electronic system that will fit the later heavyweights in place of the contact breaker points. I have Pazon systems fitted to my two Triumphs and I know they do 6v one for 'British singles' but only specify Triumph and BSA. I was wondering if I could make one fit the G3.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
Peter Morris

Post by Peter Morris »

Not sure about the singles John, nor the Pazon ignition, but my G15 is fitted with a Boyer ignition that their website states is for a Triumph/BSA (no mention at all of AMC bikes) that works fine.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi John

Check out the Lucas catalogue - if the CB assembly is the same the aftermarket system should be compatible.

Regards Mick
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Pharisee wrote:On the subject of ignition timing, does anyone know if there is an electronic system that will fit the later heavyweights in place of the contact breaker points. I have Pazon systems fitted to my two Triumphs and I know they do 6v one for 'British singles' but only specify Triumph and BSA. I was wondering if I could make one fit the G3.
How about a call to Pazon's U.K. distributors?
http://www.pazon.com/help.php?section=dealers
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
nortonbrian

Post by nortonbrian »

Re ignition timing. As you know, AMC singles had the magneto installed on the assembly line and timing set with a wood stick down the spark plug hole. When I was runner up, kick-starting new bikes to life and get them ready for road test, we would check timing by pulling the lever to full retardans slowly open the throttle. If the motor quit running, pop off the lower sprocket and advance the timing. A blb of grease on the chain and timing cover goes on.