PAZON & BOYER Camshaft End Taper

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
leobailey

PAZON & BOYER Camshaft End Taper

Post by leobailey »

I run a 1959 G3 with coil ignition and PAZON Electronics. PAZON needed some adaption to fit the male taper on the inlet camshaft that drives the ignition system.

Making the adaptor was the most difficult part of the conversion to electronic ignition and my hero in this (with a lathe) was Tony Jennings of our North West section.

Now my question. Tony correctly machined the adaptor to suit the inlet camshaft taper based on my camshaft.

Now another member (Keith Pemberton) has asked me for any information I may have gleamed to make it possible for him to move over to PAZON.

All my measuring and calculations have led me to believe the taper is 5 degrees, but I think Tony got there by a bit of trial and error (and possibly engineers blue) to get a perfect fit.
Does anyone out there know the Taper angle to ease the job of fitting PAZON.

My limited measuring equipment, a digital vernier a micrometre and a steel rule, still points me in the direction of 5 degrees.

ANYONE HAVE THE DEFINITIVE ANSWER
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
aobp11

Re: PAZON & BOYER Camshaft End Taper

Post by aobp11 »

Leo, I don't know if this applies to the taper you consider, but here you find taper info of magnetos. Taper "1 in 5" is for the diameter, 1:10 is for half the top angle. That gives 5.7 degrees for half the top angle.
Albert