Rear wheel Outer bearing ring stuck

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
KEES_MATCHLESS

Re: Rear wheel Outer bearing ring stuck

Post by KEES_MATCHLESS »

Hi ajscomboman

How to assemble the bearings with correct clearance?

I read many ways to have the correct clearance. One option is to turn the adjusting ring in such a way that there is just no clearance and after that turn the ring back 1/2 turn, but knowing that the outer ring is very tight it will stay put isn't it?

Regards Kees
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

The forces generated in the hub whilst riding will settle the outer in contact with the adjuster.

Adjust it, take the bike for a ride, confirm the clearance is correct, (just discernable side play at the wheel rim).

Regards Mick
KEES_MATCHLESS

Post by KEES_MATCHLESS »

Hi Mick,

Sounds logic, I will do so. Thanks all you are very helpful.

Regards Kees
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Adjustment going by the book as has been stated here, has worked for me for the past 60 years. But, it is prone to needing a finale check after a short run, same as adjusting chains needs. Only adverse comment coming from an M o T man that did not know about our old bikes having tapered bearings. He said my bearings were worn and needed replacing. I said they are adjustable so could quite easy nip then up to satisfy him, adding they would not then be as recommended by the manufacturer. He was not aware the bearings could be adjusted. I showed him the book. He still remarked they sounded worn.
KEES_MATCHLESS

Post by KEES_MATCHLESS »

Hi Rob,

I will assemble the bearings according to the book, but one thing, I need to understand why a procedure is what it is. I am not a person which takes something for granted.

Tapered bearing can be adjusted, that is why they are tapered, but they can be worn off. Bearings are wonders of technique when they are treated correctly, but hey don't last for ever.

Regards Kees
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

KEES_MATCHLESS wrote:Hi Rob,

I will assemble the bearings according to the book, but one thing, I need to understand why a procedure is what it is. I am not a person which takes something for granted.

Tapered bearing can be adjusted, that is why they are tapered, but they can be worn off. Bearings are wonders of technique when they are treated correctly, but hey don't last for ever.

Regards Kees
Roller bearings do wear, but can be adjusted to take up wear. I have in fact worn out tapered bearings. I seem to recall replacing front wheel bearing by the time my 55G3LS was 6 years old. That would have been after about 100, 000 miles, a lot of those miles riding on nothing better than farm tracks with runts filled with muddy water. Plus only pumping in a few shoots grease, when I could borrow a grease gun. What grease was in them, probably more like grinding paste.
robcurrie

Post by robcurrie »

I was forever adjusting the play in the rear wheel until I realised the axle was slightly bent.

Rob C