Rear wheel Outer bearing ring stuck

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
KEES_MATCHLESS

Rear wheel Outer bearing ring stuck

Post by KEES_MATCHLESS »

Hi there,

I am trying to restore my rear wheel, the wheel is to my opinion a wheel of 1956, the wheel spindle seems to be original of my 1953 G3LS Motor cycle.

The article in: Technical Tips >> Cycle Parts >> Rear hub H/W, describes the wheel I have. All parts have been removed, except the outer ring on the speedo drive side. It is really stuck. My question is in which direction should I drive out the outer ring? Should I drive it out towards the Brake side, the long way, or the Speedo drive side? I tried to think logical that if you drive it out towards the speedo side you might ruin the thread.

Until now I tried to force it to the speedo drive side, but no movement. I also tried to drive it out to the brake side, with the help of the adjuster sleeve and with a special tool I managed to move the ring a little.

The other point is how to remove the outer bearing ring when stuck, I am thinking of heating the wheel hub, but it might give problems with the tension of spokes.

So please tell me the right drive out direction and when an outer bearing ring is stuck how can I loosen it?

Regards
Kees van Harselaar
Rob Harknett

Re: Rear wheel Outer bearing ring stuck

Post by Rob Harknett »

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Workshop ... dition.pdf
You should find instructions in this book
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

All components drive outwards from the centre of the hub, NEVER try to drive them through the hub and never try to drive them out cold. The hub should always be heated before removal. A hot air gun is good for heating the hub.
KEES_MATCHLESS

Post by KEES_MATCHLESS »

Hi AJSCOMBOMAN,

Indeed the heat was the trick which does it. It has come out now, still using force.

I could not find any documentation info dismantling with heat applied, but it make sense and is quit logical.

Thanks very much, I can continue checking and restoring the rear wheel.

PS. Rob I will use the documentation for later discoveries.

Regards Kees
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

It's more sympathetic to pull the bearing outer out, rather than drive / beat it out.

A puller can be made from a length of 12mm studding nuts, washers and a suitably sized tube, (socket?) into which to pull the bearing. Here's one I put together to extract the swinging arm bushes - the principle is the same:
Puller.png
Get the hub to around 70 degrees, (just too hot to touch), if you can.

Ah I see I type too slowly :)

Regards Mick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
KEES_MATCHLESS

Post by KEES_MATCHLESS »

Hi Mick,

Thanks for the reply, the picture is about the swing-arm which I restored already. Nice tool though.

Regards Kees
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I have never had to apply heat to remove wheel bearings. I have always managed by using a suitable drift for driving them out. I guess it may depend on how low they have been there. Often I have had to use heat on something that should just fall off. I once had a job just removing the QD wheel spindle. The spacer on the speedo side was seized on the spindle solid, stopping me from removing the spindle. On wheel bearings the circlip can be hidden by grease. Also after removing the circlip, the thin washer may be overlooked and stuck in the circlip groove. So you did need to check all the bits that need to be removed, before driving out bearings, have been removed. Also use a suitable drift, so you don't actually jam up the bearing by hitting one side.
KEES_MATCHLESS

Post by KEES_MATCHLESS »

Hi Rob,

I wasn't expecting that it came off that difficult, because the outer ring should move rather easy when adjusting the clearance of the bearings. Anyhow it didn't, I checked the inside of the hub after removal of the out ring, but could not find any reason why it should be stuck.

Most probably I will hone the hub a little bit so the outer ring will move easier, hopefully without heating it up. In that way I can adjust the clearance in a proper way.

Regards Kees
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I think I understand what you mean. These rings have quite a fine thread, can be a pig to undo if not been touched for a few years. They need to be clean and in good condition. Once off you may be able to clean them up with a wire brush and lubricant. When you can spin them on by hand, they should then not be a problem. Make sure you adjust the tapered bearings by the book. The bearings may also need a good clean and packed with grease upon assembly. In the first instant try soaking rings with penetrating oil, they are probably rusted in, so this could mean a few days soaking with penetrating oil until it penetrates.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

KEES_MATCHLESS wrote:Hi Rob,

I wasn't expecting that it came off that difficult, because the outer ring should move rather easy when adjusting the clearance of the bearings. Anyhow it didn't, I checked the inside of the hub after removal of the out ring, but could not find any reason why it should be stuck.

Most probably I will hone the hub a little bit so the outer ring will move easier, hopefully without heating it up. In that way I can adjust the clearance in a proper way.

Regards Kees
No need to hone the hub so the ring slides easier, it's designed to be the way you describe.