GL3LS replace oil pipes

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
KEES_MATCHLESS

GL3LS replace oil pipes

Post by KEES_MATCHLESS »

Hi there,
I need to replace the oil pipes (from Oil tank to Gearbox) on my Matchless G3LS of 1953 (the gearbox is of 1954), I have some questions about that:
  • Can I order a complete set of pipes including the nuts and unions and where to get them?
  • What kind of oil pipes, the feed and return pipe, can I use, copper, or others?
  • What are the outside and inside diameters?
  • What nuts, unions should I use and where can I order them, or can I use the old ones and fit a new oil pipe?
  • Are there alternatives for the origional part numbers e.g. oil pipes / unions of brakes?

Any info will be helpfull.

Regards Kees
spookefoote1956

Re: GL3LS replace oil pipes

Post by spookefoote1956 »

AMOC spares is a good place to start. The pipes are copper, easily available as are the fittings if you feel able to make your own. Or you could try https://degroot-bsa.nl/product/oil-pipe ... chless-en/ which is nearer to you.

Happy new year, Chris
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
KEES_MATCHLESS

Post by KEES_MATCHLESS »

Hi Chris,

Thanks. I checked de Groot in the Netherlands it seems that the pipes aren't in stock. I also searched for the correct part numbers at AMOC but they don't have it either. Are there alternative ways: I can find copper 1/4" 1 mm thick (car brake pipes), but then how do I get the correct nuts and unions are there any standards for or can I use the old ones?

Happy new year for you to by the way.

Regards Kees
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Re-use if there's nothing wrong with them, otherwise buy new parts - see this thread:

http://www.jampot.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... es#p200694

Regards Mick
KEES_MATCHLESS

Post by KEES_MATCHLESS »

Hi thanks,

Still some questions:

I removed the oil pipes and nuts, the pipes have different diameters. The lowest (engine) pipe is 11 mm o.i.d. and the highest pipe is 9,5 mm o.i.d. The thread of the highest pipe measures 13 mm.

What are the actual sizes of the pipes ? If I convert 11 mm to inches it looks like 7/16" and 9,5 is 3/8", but I am not sure, does anyone have the correct figures also from the nut unions?

Regards Kees
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

The unions are more than likely BSP, see here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Standard_Pipe

13mm major D is probably 1/4" BSP.

Regards Mick
ELPS

Post by ELPS »

Good luck with finding new oil pipes anywhere. A while ago I waited for Andrew Engineering to make a batch. Needed full length metal pipes with fittings, no rubber sections. What turned up was a pair of half pipes with engine side fittings and not very well made at that. Am now looking at fabricating my own as it appears to be the only way if I want a nice set of new oil pipes.