1941 Matchless G3L - Speedo Drive Query

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
phenry

1941 Matchless G3L - Speedo Drive Query

Post by phenry »

Hello,

I made new spacers and distance bushes for the rear wheel axle.
When I tightened the axle nuts, the distance piece between the Speedo gearbox and the frame hard-pressed against the Speedo Gearbox and made considerable damage.
Luckily I have a spare one. I think I am missing something here. Please advice on how to mount this speedo gearbox.

Regards
Phenry
56G80S

Re: 1941 Matchless G3L - Speedo Drive Query

Post by 56G80S »

Hi, as you've had no response I am posting mainly to get you back up the "active topics" list.

Try using the search facility ( the magnify glass icon near the top of the screen, about a third of the way in.

There are lots of posts about this and how to do the job correctly.

Johnny B
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I would check you have the correct parts, in correct positions the right way round. That spacer at the end needs to be right. On 1955 QD wheels, this spacer is of two diameters. Get that the wrong way round would result in problems like you had. As I recall it, this end spacer should not even touch the gear box drive. The smaller dia end clears it. Perhaps your bike has a similar set up. Perhaps now some one will come along with 41 type set up, and put me straight, giving you the answer.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi Phenry

I's not possible to diagnose your issue unless you give details of the spacers you have made and your assembly order - post some photos and give us a chance :) ;)

Regards Mick
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Mick D wrote:Hi Phenry

I's not possible to diagnose your issue unless you give details of the spacers you have made and your assembly order - post some photos and give us a chance :) ;)

Regards Mick
Must be that end spacer wrong or wrong way round if it damaged the speedo drive Mick, seeing a pic as you requested should confirm.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Although it refers to f/wheel speedo drive as well as for the rear wheel there's some info re. the 41 speedo drive referring to a 'special' spacer here which may (guessing blind and without seeing what you made) throw some light on your problem.:
http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Workshop ... cycles.pdf

Here's a part of the article...

1941 G3L speedo drive.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
phenry

Post by phenry »

Hello,

Thanks for all the queries. I have managed to get some pics online and I am guessing that this is the part that I was missing which resulted in the Speedo Drive being crushed.
The highlighted part is the actual missing part. Am I right? What will be the part number for this? or can someone please help with the dimensions?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi PHenry

Page 14 here:

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Spares_l ... st_G3L.pdf

Distance piece for speedo gearbox - W41-G3L-H26-S ??

Regards Mick