Help with transfers

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
arcturus

Help with transfers

Post by arcturus »

Hi!
My -54 rigid frame G3 is now fully restored and I'm looking forward to riding it later this year. However, I'm stuck on the transfers. I got a set of them from the club but I have no reference what so ever where they are supposed to go. Is there any information about this available somewhere that i have missed? Roy Bacon's restoration book mentioned that transfers bought through the owners club would come with information on where to apply them - Nope, they didn't!

Web searches gave me nothing. Most photos (very few good ones) I've found are of restored bikes where the transfers could have been applied wherever the owner thought they looked good...

Most of the transfers I can guess where they should go, but I really would like to do this right. The "Made in England", "Teledraulic fork", and a "Patent" transfer I have no idea at all where they should go.

Any help would be appriciated.
Rob Harknett

Re: Help with transfers

Post by Rob Harknett »

ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

The set should have been wrapped in an A4 piece of paper which shows the location of the transfers. If this wasn't the case, which it appears to be so I apologise and will be following it up on Monday.
arcturus

Post by arcturus »

Thanks! I got a paper explaining how to apply them. Soak them in water until curled etc. but nothing describing their location. My bike lacked all transfers when I started the restoration too so I have no photos of my own bike showing locations either.

I'll go print that file now and study it. Thanks again!
arcturus

Post by arcturus »

By the way, have anyone tried using shellac to protect the transfers? I read that it is UV resistant (won't go yellow in time) and since it is dissolved in alchohol it would be possible to wipe it off if things should go bad while applying it. It could possibly be removed while still wet, just by wiping it off with a cloth soaked in ethanol... I'm somewhat nervous about brushing varnish onto my very good looking paintjob. I might just skip this step since I won't be riding my bike on rainy days anyway.

How did they do it when these bikes were produced? Did they cover the transfers at all? I've been reading through the "Working at AMC" website, but I don't think the ever mentioned this. Interesting website though...
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I have never painted over water slide transfers. Just a good wax polish as the rest of the bikes paint work gets. After given a few days to dry.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

If you do not seal a water slide transfer I'll state 100% it will come off when you wash the bike. That's a certainty. I know coz in my yoof i did it! I used to use shellac but it does yellow despite what's said about it. I now tend to use Humbrol brush on lacquer and that has been a great success.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I know it's too late for you now but I get my decals applied after the top coat but before the clear coat that I always have applied.

Regards Mick
arcturus

Post by arcturus »

Yes, it's to late now. Applying a clear coat on top would have been best. Took the guy who did the paint job 1 1/2 year to finish, and I'm not dismantling the bike again to have him apply a layer of clear coat. I'm planning on riding the bike this summer... :lol:
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

ajscomboman wrote:If you do not seal a water slide transfer I'll state 100% it will come off when you wash the bike. That's a certainty. I know coz in my yoof i did it! I used to use shellac but it does yellow despite what's said about it. I now tend to use Humbrol brush on lacquer and that has been a great success.
Have a look at them on my bikes Rob, still there after 30 years. Perhaps if transfers are put on paint that has not been cleaned of any residue's, or on paintwork that has polish on it.
As Rob says, they will wash off, having not adhered. Never happened to me, but if it happened to Rob, it did, and perhaps the reason was as I have stated. ( Do not leave transfers too long when soaking them. Apply on a cleaned surface. Pat dry with tissue to soak up moisture. Leave for a few days at least before applying wax polish.
As far as I know, transfers get a coat of clear when made, When I have made transfers, with transfer paper, I have printed them using my PC printer. Also followed instructions which were, apply 2/3 coats of clear lacquer. I used quick drying Acrylic spray can from the Pound shop. If you flood them with water in access when soaking, then leave water after applying them. You have probably washed off a lot of the agent that sticks them