1956 G3LS Steering damper fitting

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Mick D

Re: 1956 G3LS Steering damper fitting

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I bought part number 014577 from AMC Classic Spares when I did my restoration a couple of years ago - maybe worth a look.

Regards Mick
NickG58

Post by NickG58 »

Mick D wrote:Hi

I bought part number 014577 from AMC Classic Spares when I did my restoration a couple of years ago - maybe worth a look.

Regards Mick
Thanks Mick. Just looked and they seem to have them.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I never left my garage when I wanted a couple. They are hex bolts, not set screws. I always have a collection of 26 TPI Bolts, screws & nuts. I either found or used a longer bolts cut down. Cannot recall exactly what I did find.
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

Rob Harknett wrote:I never left my garage when I wanted a couple. They are hex bolts, not set screws. I always have a collection of 26 TPI Bolts, screws & nuts. I either found or used a longer bolts cut down. Cannot recall exactly what I did find.
With the greatest respect, they are not bolts. At 7/16" long, they are threaded right up to the head with no unthreaded portion which when I served my engineering apprenticeship was a set screw. A bolt, on the other hand, has an unthreaded portion under the head.

From Wikipedia:-
"A set screw is a type of screw generally used to secure an object within or against another object, normally not using a nut (see bolts compared with screws). ... If a set screw has a head, the thread will extend all the way to the head (whereas a bolt might have an unthreaded shank between the head and thread)."
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Pharisee wrote:
Rob Harknett wrote:I never left my garage when I wanted a couple. They are hex bolts, not set screws. I always have a collection of 26 TPI Bolts, screws & nuts. I either found or used a longer bolts cut down. Cannot recall exactly what I did find.
With the greatest respect, they are not bolts. At 7/16" long, they are threaded right up to the head with no unthreaded portion which when I served my engineering apprenticeship was a set screw. A bolt, on the other hand, has an unthreaded portion under the head.

From Wikipedia:-
"A set screw is a type of screw generally used to secure an object within or against another object, normally not using a nut (see bolts compared with screws). ... If a set screw has a head, the thread will extend all the way to the head (whereas a bolt might have an unthreaded shank between the head and thread)."
As you see in the parts list AMC refer to the part as a bolt. AMC Classic spares likes wise call it a bolt. You are of cause correct about thread going to the head is a screw. As AMC refer to the part as a bolt, I am sure they would also know the difference between a bolt and a screw. I can only think you have been supplied with a screw instead of a bolt, when ordering the part number.
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

Rob Harknett wrote: As you see in the parts list AMC refer to the part as a bolt. AMC Classic spares likes wise call it a bolt. You are of cause correct about thread going to the head is a screw. As AMC refer to the part as a bolt, I am sure they would also know the difference between a bolt and a screw. I can only think you have been supplied with a screw instead of a bolt, when ordering the part number.
That got that all sorted out, then :D

It would be interesting to see if the 7/16" long, 1/4" diameter item supplied under the part number is actually a bolt or a screw. If it is a bolt, there isn't going to be a lot of thread on it. As the damper plates are only about 1/8" thick (from memory) and are secured into blind threaded holes in the frame / bottom yoke, using a true bolt would not be the correct fixing as a bolt is generally used in conjunction with a nut.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Pharisee wrote:
Rob Harknett wrote: As you see in the parts list AMC refer to the part as a bolt. AMC Classic spares likes wise call it a bolt. You are of cause correct about thread going to the head is a screw. As AMC refer to the part as a bolt, I am sure they would also know the difference between a bolt and a screw. I can only think you have been supplied with a screw instead of a bolt, when ordering the part number.
That got that all sorted out, then :D

It would be interesting to see if the 7/16" long, 1/4" diameter item supplied under the part number is actually a bolt or a screw. If it is a bolt, there isn't going to be a lot of thread on it. As the damper plates are only about 1/8" thick (from memory) and are secured into blind threaded holes in the frame / bottom yoke, using a true bolt would not be the correct fixing as a bolt is generally used in conjunction with a nut.
I do not think the plates are as thick as 1/8" John. There are also plain and spring or friction washers. With the plate may make up to 3/16" then 1/4" of thread to screw in. The threaded part on the frame is not so deep, could trap muck. So may have to take care the bolt does not bottom. According to the AMC description, classic spares also quote, you should expect to get bolts. Quite a few parts have bolts that do not have nuts. Like head and rocker box bolts.
ajsm18

Post by ajsm18 »

Good morning,

I'm sorry to hijack this thread but I was looking for some help with re-fitting my steering and found the nice diagram showing the parts here so I thought I would ask my stupid question.

The stupid question is, why are two friction disks listed in the spares list and also the club spares scheme? My guess would be that they are fitted next to each other i.e. between the two fixed parts (#017008 & #015137 as per Rob's extract from the spares book) but I thought I should check with the experts first.

My 1947 Model 18 had one fitted when I bought the bike 20+ years ago. I took it off then as the bike needed new steering head bearings but forgot to refit it then and I'm only just getting round to re-fitting it now. To be honest, it doesn't need it but I like the look of the Bakelite AJS knob and, as I haven't fitted the domed steering head top nut, it does look a bit strange with a hole in the middle so I thought I would refit it. Having now dismantled the front wheel and mudguard, I now discover that a steering damper wasn't fitted until later!

The relevant lugs for fitting it are on the frame and forks so I think it must have been an option in 1947 but I'm going to fit it anyway, just wanted to check how to reassemble it.

Thanks
Mark
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

ajsm18 wrote:Good morning,

The stupid question is, why are two friction disks listed in the spares list and also the club spares scheme? My guess would be that they are fitted next to each other i.e. between the two fixed parts (#017008 & #015137 as per Rob's extract from the spares book) but I thought I should check with the experts first.

Thanks
Mark
There are two friction plates in the assembly. One goes between plate at the bottom (015137) and the intermediate plate (017008) and the other goes between the intermediate plate and the bottom yoke. Only one is shown in the diagram but the parts list says that 2 are required.
John
damper.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ajsm18

Post by ajsm18 »

Thanks, John. I did wonder if that could be the case as two together seemed pointless. The intermediate plate is still attached to the bike so I will probably find the remains of the friction disk when I remove it.
Thanks, again
Mark