Side stand spring

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Roddoff Rode

Side stand spring

Post by Roddoff Rode »

I have a 1965 16C trials bike that has a pair of non-standard fixed footrests welded onto a strut that is attached to the frame.
The side stand has no spring, nor has it been used by the previous owner. It is held up by a cable tie. I have bought a spring that is supposed to be for this model but there is no apparent fixing for the other end of the spring to the side stand. I can make a suitable adaption/weld if I knew where the original spring was fixed on the frame.

Can anyone tell me me please where the side stand spring is fixed to the frame.

Thanks
Rod
cbranni

Re: Side stand spring

Post by cbranni »

There maybe two small holes located in the off side bottom rail where the spring is hooked into, one hole allows the stand to stay down the other will allow the stand to flick up when there is no weight on it.

I say maybe because my comp frame hasn't got the two holes.

Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
Roddoff Rode

Post by Roddoff Rode »

Thanks for the comments Colin - much appreciated.

I cannot see the holes on my frame but have now seen the series of 5 photos on CS Footrests - shown on page 2 of the Competition Series of photos. They show the area to which the (frame) end of the spring is attached. At least I now know that I have bought the right spring and can make a fixing for it in the right place.

When I have secured this spring, I will post one or two photos of it.

Regards

Rod
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

Apologies for the Heath Robinson approach, but on my twin I have a small car exhaust clamp fitted round the frame tube, with the spring attached to that. You can't really see it unless you go looking, and it's adjustable.

Malc