Kickstart woes

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Pharisee

Kickstart woes

Post by Pharisee »

My '53 G3/LS has a later ('61 ish) AMC gearbox and clutch fitted. Recently, the kickstart has started slipping making it a bit difficult to start. I suspected that the ratchet pawl might be worn so today, I investigated. Sure enough, it was well past it's best so I fitted a new replacement. I also fitted a new plunger spring as the original one was a little shorter than the new one.
A couple of questions...
There were no washers under any of the seven nuts holding the gearbox inner cover... Should there be?
There were no gaskets fitted. The covers were metal to metal with a sealant of some sort. I have two new gaskets but was wondering if assembling the covers with gaskets might create end float problems. Am I just overthinking it? What do those of you that have assembled these boxes do?
OLD_3312.jpg
OLD_3313.jpg
OLD_3314.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
Rob Harknett

Re: Kickstart woes

Post by Rob Harknett »

Look at it another way, If the parts list states a gasket, then it should be fitted. If not, no end float if there should be. As for washers, again check your parts list . If it states washers then the screws should have them. You will of cause need to check the parts list for the gear box year. AJS or its Matchless model. G3 or 16.
http://archives.jampot.dk/ There's where you'll find parts lists.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

I uses gaskets and washers, are you sure your slipping kickstart was not down to the clutch?
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Mine had gaskets on the inner and outer covers and these were replaced during rebuild with the items specified in the parts list.
I didn't have washers on the inner case studs but from an engineering aspect I don't like using single bevel nuts without them, especially torqueing down onto aluminium alloy, so I added some thin gauge ones I had available.

Regards Mick
bob121

Post by bob121 »

Gaskets and washers on mine.
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

Duncan wrote:I uses gaskets and washers, are you sure your slipping kickstart was not down to the clutch?
Absolutely... a different feel entirely.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Damage could easily result in not using washers. Then if you do use a thin washer, it can dish. Best example of this is seen on the tappet covers of singles. Previous owners not using a fibre washer under the Acorn nuts. Rings worn round the holes
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

Rob Harknett wrote:Damage could easily result in not using washers. Then if you do use a thin washer, it can dish. Best example of this is seen on the tappet covers of singles. Previous owners not using a fibre washer under the Acorn nuts. Rings worn round the holes
I'm inclined to agree, Rob. While there are gaskets in the Parts List for that gearbox, washers for the inner cover nuts don't seem to be listed. I'll use the new gaskets I've bought and I will put washers under the nuts, at least the 5 inside the cover. The two nuts on the outside have minimal clearance, so much so that you can't get a 1/4" square drive socket onto one of them. I do have some 5/16" x 26tpi stainless steel nuts with a smaller hexagon that takes the next socket size down. I may well use them on those two studs. With the gearbox still in the frame, it's very difficult getting an open ended spanner onto those two.
John