Hot head

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Yak

Hot head

Post by Yak »

This is a bit of a saga. Some months ago whilst de-coking I discovered a crack in the head running directly from the spark plug hole to exhaust valve seat. The bike was still running ok, just felt it needed a clean up. Anyhow I put the thing back in service while I tried to source another. It still ran ok probably a bit down in power, and I ran with it for some time.
Found another head. Needed to have new valve seats inserted. When I put it on it ran well, but, head and barrel ran hot, REAL hot. The exhaust seat dislodged. At this time I was finding it difficult to set timing and have it stay put. It kept on moving. On investigation I found the magneto points casing had loosened from the main housing, causing end to end float :oops: , and further more the face cam was flapping around. I got the magneto sorted and timing is fine now, but, it is still running hot. The exhaust seat come adrift again. Very lucky no damage done to piston etc. As far as I can see oil circulation is good. Had barrel off and blew air through ports in oil pump and could see they weren't blocked. What else could I check? Will go over carby when I get back. ( I work away in two week blocks). Will put old head on as well to see what happens. The oil galleries in the 'new' head were clear. Regarding the magneto, it was running retarded causing the over heating (I thought), but now its still a hot head.
Thanks
Ray.
clanger9

Re: Hot head

Post by clanger9 »

Is your exhaust partially blocked? That will always push the head temperature sky high...
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS
Yak

Re: Hot head

Post by Yak »

Thanks clanger will inspect.