Starting trouble

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
JEAN-NOEL

Re: Starting trouble

Post by JEAN-NOEL »

According my experience a bad ignition timing may give backfire, or "bang" in the silencers. When I was seventee I used to invert the leads on the plugs as an anti thetht on my M30. One time I had forgotten to put the leads on good order...After 5/6 strokes of the kickstater there were amazing bangs ! Does the silencer smells petrol after kicking ?
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

Any update tippi?
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
tippi11

Post by tippi11 »

Sorry, sorry - I missed to update you! My SR-1 magneto is currently in a workshop for repair. They tested it and found that the spark is too weak and therefore assume that there is no spark under compression. So at least they will rewind but also perform a complete test and renew other components if necessary. I expect to get the SR-1 within the next two weeks or so. And then: it has to fire!!! :P
Regards, Peter
tippi11

Post by tippi11 »

Here is the update: I got the SR-1 magneto back from overhaul, mounted it and adjusted ignition timing (it is now with an auto advance unit I recently bought) - and believe it or not: engine fires and runs!!! :beer:
Again, many thanks to all of you who guided me through this process from the beginning and encouraged me to keep going ...
Regards, Peter