After rebuild start up!

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
NaughtyNetley

Re: After rebuild start up!

Post by NaughtyNetley »

Dixter wrote:Hi Neil, a few other pointers. There is some advantage in adding the initial fill of the oil tank, a few hours before starting, to allow gravity to pull oil thru the line and flood the oil pump inlet.

If the oil tank was filled more than a few weeks ago, I'd encourage you to check the crankcase to ensure the bike had not “wet sumped” and over filled with excess oil. If you decide to check the crankcase, do this before pouring oil down into the rocker box as recommended by Mick D.

If the bike has an oil filter in the oil tank, remove the cover to the filter chamber, and fill the compartment till the filter is saturated and the chamber brimming with oil. Replace the filter cover.

Please note, the oil pumps on these bikes are agonizingly slow. If the filter compartment is dry, oil return seen in the tank filler can be closer to five minutes. This is normal, but your heart and head will not think so.

Ciao,
DC
Thanks Dixter, I have put oil in the tank and turned the engine over with the kick start to try and get some oil circulating and there is oil showing at the output of the oil pump. This was a couple of weeks ago though. Should I remove the sump plug to check if it's found it's way to the sump?
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

NaughtyNetley wrote:
Pharisee wrote:Check this out...

That looks like it had a complete re-build ;)
Yep... It surely did :)
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
Dixter

Post by Dixter »

Being Naughty is ok, but let's not be foolish. Pull the plug! Everyone of us had tried to convey “minutes will hang like hours”.

It takes but a minute and will provide you with meaningful information, and removes all doubt.

Ciao, DC
Dick Casey
The RideNut
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Let's try to put our comments into context with regard to this case:

The bike shouldn't have an oil filter in the tank so there is no need to fill this cavity or allow for time to fill under pump action.

If the oil tank was replenished some time ago don't assume it hasn't wet sumped - drain the sump and put 100ml of oil into the rocker box via the inspection port, (wait for half an hour before starting).

In my opinion:

Two minutes is long enough to run this engine without seeing a return in the first instance - let things cool and try for another two minutes - if there's still no return start to investigate.

When I re-built my 61 G3 I did the above and the return oil was evident after about one minute.

Regards Mick
NaughtyNetley

Post by NaughtyNetley »

No joy starting! After fiddling and mopping etc. got a fuel tight carb. New float bowl gasket thinner than the old!
Now I have spark and fuel but it's spitting back fuel from the carb and not at titter of ignition in cylinder.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Are you sure you've timed at TDC on the compression stroke?

Regards Mick
NaughtyNetley

Post by NaughtyNetley »

Mick D wrote:Hi

Are you sure you've timed at TDC on the compression stroke?

Regards Mick
Hmmm, possibly not Mick.
This is the first 4 stroke I've worked on and between myself and a mate doing the timing we were under the impression that there was a wasted spark and it fired every cycle.
Am I able to retime, I'm sure the valve timing is correct, by taking the points plate off and adjusting the cam itself?
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Get the crank rotated so as both the inlet and exhaust tappets have clearance - this will be TDC on the compression stroke - work from there.

Regards Mick
raffles

Post by raffles »

When it does eventually start dont worry about oil return as clive states and he has run and rebuilt singles since god was a lad
they can sometime take as he says up to severn minuets to return my own G80 took nearly five
Tony
NaughtyNetley

Post by NaughtyNetley »

Hi all, been away and back to the shed now.
Retimed and it has fired but literally once.
I pulled points cover off and there is an intermittent spark from the points when they open but then It doesn't spark again for a couple of cranks.
Help please.