G3 WO or G3L?

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Stan Palmer

Re: G3 WO or G3L?

Post by Stan Palmer »

Very interesting detective work. Makes me want to join the prewar group! Rob Harknet is a walking encyclopaedia.
Stan
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Stan Palmer wrote:Very interesting detective work. Makes me want to join the prewar group! Rob Harknet is a walking encyclopaedia.
Stan
I rely on My library built up over many years for info. You will notice in the last crank case picture posted, the case is stamped 40/G3R. You will also find some 41/G3LR & 46/G3R R was because there was something non standard fitted. It is considered roller bearings were fitted. Some late 30's machines had a A. Thought to mean Amal controls were fitted instead of Bowden.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Rob Harknett wrote:
Stan Palmer wrote:Very interesting detective work. Makes me want to join the prewar group! Rob Harknet is a walking encyclopaedia.
Stan
I rely on My library built up over many years for info. You will notice in the last crank case picture posted, the case is stamped 40/G3R. You will also find some 41/G3LR & 46/G3R R was because there was something non standard fitted. It is considered roller bearings were fitted. Some late 30's machines had a A. Thought to mean Amal controls were fitted instead of Bowden.
Hi Rob, yes there is a recess on the timing side for a bearing as well as the bush.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

AJS had also had 1/2 Letter sufixes. But most of these were documented in parts lists.. e.g. 40/26L L = 1939 lightweight forks fitted.
40/26 H. H = heavy weight front wheel & forks fitted.