Erratic starting.

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
NaughtyNetley

Erratic starting.

Post by NaughtyNetley »

Hi, still fettling to do. I am able to start the matchless easily using the method advised in my previous post but then once switched off it won't start again. I noticed the plug wasn't wet so thought of a dirty carb.
Now I have a 500 top end on my G3 and I have a spare carb for the 350. The pilot jet seemed grubby so I cleaned it and checked the size, 25 for 500 carb and 30 for 350. Excuse my ignorance but is that correct? I presume, possibly wrongly, that jet sizes will be different for 500 and 350?
Hoping to try starting again this afternoon after finding cork in fuel taps were past their best. New ones fitted and having a soak before re-fitting so it's carb cleaning, again.
SPRIDDLER

Re: Erratic starting.

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Both are size 30 according to the settings recommended in the AMAL guide in Christians Archive:

http://archives.jampot.dk/technical/Car ... 60_AMC.pdf

and also in the Owners Manual, page 4, here:

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Owners_m ... models.pdf
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
NaughtyNetley

Post by NaughtyNetley »

Thank you Spriddler and everyone else for your advice and patience.
My (much) more knowledgable friend is back from Oz today. He may regret coming back :D
NaughtyNetley

Post by NaughtyNetley »

Thanks all of you who have contributed to getting my recalcitrant G3 up and running. After sonic cleaning of the carb and its various jets, rechecking and adjustment of the ignition timing I have finally managed to get it running properly and managed a few runs around the block.
I stopped at the local shop where a guy came over saying "that's a Matchless isn't it" something I have to get used to. I'm like a man run over by a steam train, chuffed to bits 😉
NaughtyNetley

Post by NaughtyNetley »

IMG_20191108_154736.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

With the exception of the centre stand and what could be a chrome trim on the headlamp mounted switch that looks like a very 'original' unrestored bike, something to treasure.

Regards Mick
NaughtyNetley

Post by NaughtyNetley »

Mick D wrote:Hi

With the exception of the centre stand and what could be a chrome trim on the headlamp mounted switch that looks like a very 'original' unrestored bike, something to treasure.

Regards Mick
It's a 1959 ex AFS bike but was painted black when the previous owner bought it some 40 years ago as black bikes were the thing to have. It only has 20k odd miles on it so should hold me in good stead and I already treasure it. If the weather holds up this Weds I hope to go the the Cornwall VMCC meeting with a friend on his Scott.
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Unless the number's been changed you've probabely got a WXR--- reg? Mine was WXR594, great little bike. If you're interested in the AFS look on the AFS register by going to Links, then Club related, then other. Unfortunately it isn't updated now but still lots of info on there.
Dave.
NaughtyNetley

Post by NaughtyNetley »

WXR 590