Front Brake Stay

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
chappers1962

Front Brake Stay

Post by chappers1962 »

Just a simple question - Im rebuilding my 1956 G3LS (was a basket case). Should the front brake stay position be: fork, stay, mudguard or fork, mudguard then stay? Can't find any images that show the correct position.
raffles

Re: Front Brake Stay

Post by raffles »

I have seen both but for max safety put the stay between the fork leg and the mudgaurd and to be correct
it should be fitted by two studs two bolts on the other side
Tony
chappers1962

Post by chappers1962 »

raffles wrote:I have seen both but for max safety put the stay between the fork leg and the mudgaurd and to be correct
it should be fitted by two studs two bolts on the other side
Tony
Many thanks
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

David, just a word since you are rebuilding a basket case........
Whilst it is considered best practice that the torque arm is fitted next to the fork slider and before fitting the mudguard it's not unusual that it offsets the mudguard to the extent that it fouls the offside fork cover, scraping off the paint. :(
Bending the mudguard bracket (the bridge) to prevent this can be a bit of a struggle.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

SPRIDDLER wrote:David, just a word since you are rebuilding a basket case........
Whilst it is considered best practice that the torque arm is fitted next to the fork slider and before fitting the mudguard it's not unusual that it offsets the mudguard to the extent that it fouls the offside fork cover, scraping off the paint. :(
Bending the mudguard bracket (the bridge) to prevent this can be a bit of a struggle.
Absolutely agree... Having just refitted the mudguard / torque stay, it is a struggle. With the torque stay fitted next to the fork slider, it was almost impossible to force the mudguard into place and when I had achieved that, it looked distorted and bad!!. I took it off again and fitted the mudguard next to the fork slider and the torque stay inside that. I honestly can't see it being a real safety issue. It's not as if we'll be breaking from 180mph and it's only in my dreams that the SLS brake will generate enough force on the torque stay to break the two 5/16" studs / screws :rofl:
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

My torque stay is in the conventional position, I fitted it and the mudguard before the wheel so as I could rotate the slider to allow easy fitting of the stay and LH side of the bridge, then rotated the RH slider slightly to allow the bridge to slide into place on the RH side. I can imagine it would be a bit of a struggle with the wheel in place.

Personally I'd adjust the bridge to allow the mudguard to clear the covers with the torque stay against the slider - with the mudguard lying flat the bridge can be 'adjusted' by hand pressure.

Regards Mick
chappers1962

Post by chappers1962 »

SPRIDDLER wrote:David, just a word since you are rebuilding a basket case........
Fitted the stay in the 'best practice' manner and was a real struggle to get the mudguard on, but eventually managed it. Issue now is the mudguard is rubbing on the tyre. Will have to do some metal bending; just hope it doesn't damage the new paint!. With the stay in the inside position (stay, mudguard, slider), the mudguard fits OK (no tightness or fouling), which leads to the conclusion it was in this configuration for years, which beggars the question whether it left the factory like this.