Fuel Tank Bolt

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
jackstringer

Fuel Tank Bolt

Post by jackstringer »

I know this might be daft but does anyone know details for the two bolts that hold the tank at the front. Part Numbers aren't being very useful, tried looking in the list of bolt sizes as well.

It is the bolt you can see here in the manual. My bike sadly has had some metic bolts put in before, I will hopefully do a wire insert repair on it but need to know the bolt size so I can replace it.
Screenshot_2020-02-23 untitled - _Instruction_Manual_HW_models pdf.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cbranni

Re: Fuel Tank Bolt

Post by cbranni »

The parts book quotes part number 000366 front tank mounting bolt for a G3, but club spares quote it as front tank mounting bolt twins 1960, almost sure it's 5/16 x 26 but I can't be certain, I could remove one of mine to check tomorrow if that helps.

Let's hope Rob will be along soon to help.

Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

014997 1 1/4" x 5/16" 26 tpi cycle thread
jackstringer

Post by jackstringer »

Thank you.

The threads are in pretty poor condition so I might use a tap and wire inserts to make them to 5/16" x 22 BSF as I have some of them in the shed. But I will see what a 5/16" BYC Tap does to it first.
jackstringer

Post by jackstringer »

Is it normal for nuts to be welded to the plates under the tank?
20200229_182008.png
Ignore the rubber thingy, it was added by the DPO and I am just trying to sort it out, I will not have metric bolts on an older bike.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Andy51

Post by Andy51 »

Hi, the metal strap on the bottom of the tank is only about 1/4 in thick, and strips easily, more so if a PO has forced a wrong thread bolt into place. I had a couple stripped on my G80, so
I made a couple of inserts threaded 5/16 BSC inside, 1/2 BSC outside by about 1/2 in long - check depth from strap to bottom of recess available on your particular machine. I had local engineer drill and tap strap 1/2 in BSC using Bridgeport mill to ensure straightness and right angle, inserted bushes using Loctite, job done. You now have correct thread with greater depth of engagement. Hope this helps, Andy
jackstringer

Post by jackstringer »

I have written up some of my tinker time this weekend ( https://blog.jackstringer.co.uk/my-vehi ... nker-time/ ), one of the nuts just won't drill out, so I will have grind off the nut and weld a new one on. Nuts on order but wasn't sure if it was standard or just a bodge by one of its prior owners.