Monoblock 376/5 - O Ring

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
chappers1962

Re: Monoblock 376/5 - O Ring

Post by chappers1962 »

Happy to report that the float needle now works after removing the fibre washer under the needle housing. As per my previous picture, I was following the diagram provided in the Amal Major Repair kit. For interest, I checked the spares manual for 1956 to 1960 (the carb came from a 1960 G3) and the washer wasn't called up.

Also used a gasket (as advised above) between the manifold and carb instead of the large O ring as there were no grooves in either the manifold or carb to house it. When I bought my bike it had a concentric carb fitted (which did have a groove for a thin O ring) and a bakelite manifold which does look like it was fitted later on (i.e. 1970's). Reading up, the o rings help to reduce heat transfer from the engine to the carb ( gap needed between the manifold and carb of no less than .025 with the large O ring fitted which stops the flanges from distorting). Therefore, with a bakelite manifold I'm assuming the heat transfer is negligible, therefore in my case, the O ring is not required.

Will be starting it up shortly to tune, just waiting for all the neighbours to wake up as with this self isolation, everyone down our street appears to still be in bed!
chappers1962

Re: Monoblock 376/5 - O Ring

Post by chappers1962 »

Started her up and tuned. Running perfectly, starts on 1 kick from cold and ticks over far better than the Concentric it replaced - well pleased. Thanks for the advice guys.