Speedo gearbox

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
mikeydpippin

Speedo gearbox

Post by mikeydpippin »

Came back from a run and found the Speedo gearbox had moved forward, despite resetting this has continued to happen.
I've double checked every part has been fitted exactly as the attached drawing, I have small amount of up and down and sideways movement on the rear wheel bearing.
If I tighten the rear wheel spindle nut really tight, the wheel tightens up.
Checked the Speedo gearbox lugs are engaged.
Appreciate some help if possible
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike
56G80S

Re: Speedo gearbox

Post by 56G80S »

Alan Jacobs (Biscuit) prepared this and it's right. http://www.jampot.com/pic_display.asp?id=820 .

If what you've done is different, it's wrong.

If you've done it as per Biscuit's illustration and it doesn't work I don't have an answer.

Johnny B
mikeydpippin

Post by mikeydpippin »

Thanks Johnny,
I have ordered new wheel bearings and will methodically go through every drawing I have including the late great Alans👍
Is there a repair for the thread on the Speedo gearbox, or are these available anywhere, for the 1957 G3
9121C285-07DB-4097-B96D-59C9A51E0333.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike
TRFell

Post by TRFell »

I had this happen, but the bearing adjusting ring that locates in the dogs of the speedo came undone , unscrewed seizing the back wheel, there is modification if you have access to a lathe. A modified adjusting ring 021583 is recommended if the ring is not truly concentric with the speedo drive.