Change back from 500 to 350?

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Duncan

Re: Change back from 500 to 350?

Post by Duncan »

Boycey wrote:Does anybody recommend a specific Amal carb for the 500? Does the year of the engine make any real difference to carb choice (1954)? I am not worried about originality given the bike has already had a capacity change. Thank you.
Hi as the bike is an assortment I would check the size of the inlet port before ordering a carb, 1954 on was 1 5/32" prior to that it was 1 3/32". The club is usually keenly priced for carburettors all of the AMAL ones have been used by different people on 500's.
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Agreed,(with Pharisee), go for a 1955 spec 389 Monobloc. Any pics??
Dave.
Boycey

Post by Boycey »

Thank you so much guys! I am listening and absorbing & hopefully learning all the time.
I have just measured the inlet port and it is indeed a 1 5/32". It is looking like a 389 Monobloc is the preferred way to go...but any other input gladly considered.
I have another separate question regarding the magneto platform/front engine mounting plates...do I need to ask a completely new question or can it be asked in conjunction with this question? Apologies for my lack of experience and terminology regarding forums, I have read many posts but never contributed before. Thank you.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Boycey wrote:Thank you so much guys! I am listening and absorbing & hopefully learning all the time.
I have just measured the inlet port and it is indeed a 1 5/32". It is looking like a 389 Monobloc is the preferred way to go...but any other input gladly considered.
I have another separate question regarding the magneto platform/front engine mounting plates...do I need to ask a completely new question or can it be asked in conjunction with this question? Apologies for my lack of experience and terminology regarding forums, I have read many posts but never contributed before. Thank you.
No, continue this thread because then we can look back more easily to see the whole history of what you've done, progress and alternative decisions all in one place without having to trawl through your previous posts. If you start a new thread there's a risk of folk unnecessarily repeating questions that have already been covered in one of your earlier threads. ;)

As an aside...….Have you had the bike dated from the frame number as opposed to the date of first registration on the V5?
1954 350cc and 500cc models were produced up to end Aug '54. From Sept 1st '54 the models were to '55 spec'n anyway, i.e. 350's and 500's with a Monobloc carb albeit the 500 carb had a larger throat size. The '54 and '55 Spares List will help to clarify it for you.
Here's the '54
http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Spares_l ... ingles.pdf

and the '55
http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Spares_l ... ingles.pdf
Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Sun May 03, 2020 5:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Fire away! :D
Boycey

Post by Boycey »

Okay, my G3LS had the front engine mount missing when I bought it, along with the magneto. The bike came with various AMC parts, some of which are definitely related to this bike, some are not. There are 2 pairs of triangular front engine mounting plates which I believe are suited to the earlier bikes with the mag behind the barrel. Am I right in thinking that the front engine mount on my G3LS should be a 1 piece component which doubles up as the magneto mount as well? Having looked at a few photos of similar bikes it appears from what I can see that it is a folded pressed steel component and probably 1 piece? According to the illustrated parts books that I have seen they show the 2 separate triangular plates but I can't see how the mag would be fitted...From what I can gather, the 1954 year was a changeover year in some respects which always makes things more tricky. My bike was manufactured in 1954 but not registered until 1955, so some of the literature seems to contradict itself. Any help much appreciated! Thank you.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

The same folded steel mag mounting plate was used for '54 and '55.
See Part no. 010820 - Platform for magneto in the Parts lists.

The front triangular mounting plate was used for both capacities and both years.
See Part no. 010819 - Plate engine front.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

I'm just doing this at the moment on my project. You need the 2 triangular plates, 2 long studs,6 3/8"long 3/8" and 5/16", 2 spacers about 1 9/16" (mine are 1 1/2") long one is 3/8" and the other 5/16" bore, and the mag platform. This has 3/8" holes at the front and 5/16" slots at the back. The mag fits on with four 1/2"x1/4" Whitworth bolts. The mag has to be bolted on first.
Dave.
Boycey

Post by Boycey »

Thank you Dave & Spriddler, It is making some sense now, and thankfully I have numerous small bits and pieces to make up what I need which came with the bike, I also have a lathe to make any necessary spacers etc. I have dated the bike from the engine number and the lucas parts which are all 1954, the V5 has it first registered in 1955 though and it would appear it was an AFS bike in it's early days although it is currently painted black. From what I can gather the bike was in good running order up until a few years ago when sadly the shed in which it was stored was broken into by thieves who stole the front wheel, mudguard, chronometric speedometer, all handlebar controls, magneto, carburettor, fuel tank and even the camshafts! Thankfully the rest of the bike was left undamaged but in need of some help! I bought it as is with a small collection of various spares but I have managed to acquire most of the parts needed but have left the carb, magneto, bowden cables, wiring loom etc until now. Thank you.
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Is the reg NYV or WKP? You can look at the AFS register in 'Links' in the Tech.Articles above.
Dave.