G3L - Rear wheel bearing and brake

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Mauromncs

G3L - Rear wheel bearing and brake

Post by Mauromncs »

Hi All,

the guy which sold me the basket project, also tried to restore the rear wheel and I guess he did a terrible work, because from other internet pictures seem not correct, i guess i need to dismalted the complete bearings and replace with the correct one? I'm not sure about the parts which are needed, is there any scheme of the rear bearing assembling?

and the brake plate it's welded badly with a spacer which should not?

thanks a lot for any comment.

Have a great day.
Mauro
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
chappers1962

Re: G3L - Rear wheel bearing and brake

Post by chappers1962 »

have a look at the following:

http://archives.jampot.dk/technical/Whe ... el_hub.pdf

Also, look at the schematic in the owners manual (for your year of bike - again can be found in the jampot archives). The pic below is from the 1956 manual.

Must ensure the ordination of the spacers are correct otherwise you could get speedo drive lock, resulting in wheel lock. If you suspect things aren't right, always be safe and rebuild as per the manual. Re brake spacer, on mine there is one incorporating a grease nipple (see pic below). But the brake expander on mine looks like the pic also below. what year is your bike?

Note, the bearing in your picture is for the brake drum. The wheel bearings are taper.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

That's all for a full width hub. I think Mauro's bike looks like a WD G3L or just Post War '46 or so. It looks like it's been machined for journal bearings. Difficult to give advice as it's much modified.
Dave.
Mauromncs

Post by Mauromncs »

Do you have the diameter of the correct bearing, so i can check if it was machined?

thanks a lot. Mauro