Drive side bearings

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Stuart Jenkins

Drive side bearings

Post by Stuart Jenkins »

Morning all,
During my lock down rebuild of a 41 G3L I'm at the stage of putting the engine back together.
Both the drive side bearings (inner & outer) once fitted, rotate in the the case. Not really wobbly but I can rotate the outer bearing housing in the aluminium case. is there a remedy for this?
Thanks
Stuart
g3l 1941
BMW r80G/S '82
Yamaha FZ750 '90(Project)
Stuart Jenkins

Drive side bearings

Post by Stuart Jenkins »

Morning all,
I've posted this here and the G3 section, hopefully someone will have advice?
During my lock down rebuild of a 41 G3L I'm at the stage of putting the engine back together.
Both the drive side bearings (inner & outer) once fitted, rotate in the the case. Not wobbly, but I can rotate the outer bearing housing in the aluminium case. Is there a remedy for this?
Thanks
Stuart
g3l 1941
BMW r80G/S '82
clive

Re: Drive side bearings

Post by clive »

only one thread for one issue please Stuart or no-one knows what has been replied. I've deleted one repetition and merged the other. regards
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Having just restored a 650 Panther I discovered this was a fairly common problem - especially with the later bikes made on clapped out machinery that weren't as accurate as they once were. That shouldnt apply to your bike though. Panther addressed the matter by knurling the inside of the bearing housing though that's not really a diy job without access to some expensive kit. I have three sets of crankcases showing the knurling.
One alternative, again expensive is to machine the case to take a carrier restoringthe proper fit. It may be worth trying a dose of bearing fit adhesive before anything drastic.
I believe that one cause of the problem is folk driving the bearings out of a cold case instead of heating them up first.

Steve

Tried to post this reply on another thread but Clive deleted it while I was typing :D
clive

Post by clive »

sorry Steve but this seemed the most appropriate section for a thread about a G3L........ If there is not much movement I would clean up the crankcases and the outside of the bearing and fit with a good quality bearing fit before trying any other fix remembering to heat the crankcase before removing the bearings even if they seem loose, unless of course they just fall out!
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Stuart Jenkins

Post by Stuart Jenkins »

Yes, I heated the crankcase evenly and they came out easily still on the drive shaft. What bearing adhesive would you suggest? I would think it needs to be able to withstand heat, vibration and oil?
Thanks
Stuart
g3l 1941
BMW r80G/S '82
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

One of the Loctite products will suit, (probably 620), - make your selection from here depending on the condition of your bearing / crankcase:

http://dm.henkel-dam.com/is/content/hen ... gnGuidepdf

Page 16 if you want to skip the bumf

Regards Mick