Primary Chain Adjuster Confusion

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
ajscomboman

Re: Primary Chain Adjuster Confusion

Post by ajscomboman »

Rob Harknett wrote:
Andy E wrote:Hi Rob. Do you mean that I should be looking at the 1957 parts listing for my 1956 bike? I have just looked at the 1957 parts listing and is does list a different part number for the adjuster bolt, but the description is still "Eye Bolt". The AMOC spares website though has the description for part number 022869 as "Bolt Gearbox Adjusting 1957-1964", but there is no photo of the part. The 1957 bike seems to have the AMC gearbox whereas my bike has the Burman B52.
Parts list must be correct year. Workshop manual as near as possible. The manual I gave a link for was published 1957. A later one would say it cover's eg 1950 to 1959, but have very little that relates to the earlier years. If your bike is not correct, you may need parts lists for the various parts. If what you have works OK keep as it is or start replacing large lumps that are not correct.

It's the description that is incorrect Rob. In the 56 parts list description 022595 is listed as an eyebolt. In actual fact it is NOT an eyebolt, it is a plain bolt. That's what is confusing Andy E.
Andy E

Post by Andy E »

Thanks for the replies. I did wonder about fitting the later arrangement as it does look easier to use. I think though that I will order the correct parts. Thanks for the list of parts Rob, that confirms what I thought would be needed. Before placing an order I'll check that the stock of the adjuster bolt is correct.

Thanks again.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

I found the "between the plates" system straightforward on the AMC box but the set up that Poul uses is more accessible for both.

Swapping back to the B52 over winter.

Johnny B
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

To draw this to a close, it has been found the part 022595 was an eyebolt to match the description in the parts manual but has now been rectified to the correct plain bolt as it should be.
ajsph

Post by ajsph »

Great service