G3 LS 1954 Petrol Tank Decals..where from?

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Boycey

G3 LS 1954 Petrol Tank Decals..where from?

Post by Boycey »

Hello all,

Does anyone have a contact for some tank decals for a 54 G3ls, my tank I do not believe is original because it is of a slightly fatter more bulbous shape than on the 54 models I have looked at, from what I can gather the tank I have is from 55 onwards? I am after the pinstriped frame decal/transfer if possible, I do not fancy my chances of painting them on myself...I did try classic transfers website but sadly their guy is unavailable until the Autumn and they are out of stock. Is there anywhere else I should be looking? I imagined these would be a fairly regular requirement but I have not had much luck as yet. Any help much appreciated, thank you.
Greybeard

Re: G3 LS 1954 Petrol Tank Decals..where from?

Post by Greybeard »

If you dont fancy doing lines freehand, you can get excellent results using pinstripe masking tape. It follows curves nicely, is easy to apply and leaves a good crisp edge. Ivd used it several times now and wouldnt be without a roll. Its cheap as chips and available from automotive paint suppliers. Various widths available. Ive used one width to lay out the line I want then a slightly wider one to mask each side. Peel away the middle one and 'colour it in' ;)
As for paint, One Shot signwriters enamel is excellent and needs only one coat. Fairly expensive but worth it.

Steve
Boycey

Post by Boycey »

Thanks Steve, I had not even considered that, I will look into it. Do you lacquer/clearcoat after fitting? My tank is in etch primer at the moment and I am keeping all options open until I have found a solution regarding the pinstripe panels. I can't believe there are not more transfers available. With the warm weather we are having I am keen to get it painted asap, you never know, but summer might be behind us already!
bitza

Post by bitza »

Called fine line masking tape sort of vinyl with adhesive backing great for lining tanks very flexible to manipulate round curves and a choice of widths.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

The lines were originally painted, I don't think I have ever seen a 100% successfully applied "D" decal, you are trying to fit a flat decal to a three dimensional shape it always seems to wrinkle or break, one dodge I believe is to make a cut at a corner and rejoin as near as possible, if you are buying some get a couple of spares.
Sprayers usually work in reverse, applying the stripe colour over the tank first, mask and then apply main colour.
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

I don't know whether this will be of any interest to you, but I was asked to provide details of how I painted the tank on my Panther M120. I submitted this PDF to the Panther Owners Club to go into their library, but it may be equally applicable to an AMC machine ;)
Painting a tank.pdf
Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Thanks for that Steve

More inspiration to do my own paint on my next restoration :beer: :beer:

Regards Mick
Boycey

Post by Boycey »

Thank you Greybeard, that is a comprehensive article indeed! I am always happy to do as much myself as possible, biggest problem with all things paint related for me is keeping the workshop clean enough, I shall endeavour to get tidier...