Correct Paint types

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Uriah

Correct Paint types

Post by Uriah »

I have recently purchased an Auxiliary Fire Service G3LS, it is in original condition with only 10k on the clock confirmed by MOT's
I want to do a sympathetic conservation rather than a restoration so want to use original type paints to touch up.
Am I correct in thinking that Frame and headstock castings would be enamel and tinware cellulose?
Samuel

Re: Correct Paint types

Post by Samuel »

Please can you upload a picture, original condition with 10k on clock sounds interesting ?
Sam
Uriah

Post by Uriah »

As requested
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

2 different paints, um, that doesnt sound right. i have heard stove enamel was used. But just to put a bigger downer on your paint problem, if you put the wrong paint on, it could pickle the paint underneath. So, be careful
moley

Post by moley »

HI, is the reg NYV326 ??? If So My father owned it in the late 1980's and early 1990's , lots of memories for me on that bike !! Andy
Samuel

Post by Samuel »

Uriah wrote:As requested
Wonderfully original
Sam
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

moley wrote:HI, is the reg NYV326 ??? If So My father owned it in the late 1980's and early 1990's , lots of memories for me on that bike !! Andy
ajscomboman wrote:I'd not restore it even sympathetically. Keep it as it is and wipe it over with AFC 50.
I agree completely.
AFS Uriah (640x480).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

I'd not restore it even sympathetically. Keep it as it is and wipe it over with AFC 50.
Uriah

Post by Uriah »

moley wrote:HI, is the reg NYV326 ??? If So My father owned it in the late 1980's and early 1990's , lots of memories for me on that bike !! Andy
Hi Andy, yes I can confirm it was your dads bike from 1988-1992 when it was sold at auction. it has been in that persons ownership since then until he passed away.

From MOT's it had 7460 on clock when sold by your dad.

Would really appreciate any further information you may have :) PM me if you have anything please.
Uriah

Post by Uriah »

ajscomboman wrote:I'd not restore it even sympathetically. Keep it as it is and wipe it over with AFC 50.
Hi, I never said restore, I said conserve. I agree completely but there are places on the frame and chain guard that have gone back to bare metal that I want to touch up :)