Tappet Cover Sealing options..

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Boycey

Tappet Cover Sealing options..

Post by Boycey »

Hi all,
I do not seem to be able to locate the tappet inspection cover seal in the Amoc online shop and I have not got an old seal to compare dimensions etc. My G3 had the tappet cover removed when I purchased it, I did find 3 of them in a box of bits which came with the bike but on close inspection 2 of them had hairline cracks radiating from the stud holes but thankfully one of them is solid. None of them had any form of rubber gasket installed within the groove, can someone let me know what the correct o.d of the seal should be, or indeed has anyone found an improved material or dimension that works better the original? I am trying my best to keep as much oil on the inside of the engine as possible when she has her first start up, it would be nice to spot the leaks as they happen as the engine is very clean at the moment....
Any recommendations as to modern oil choice? Does anyone ever feel the need to purge the oil feeds to the top end etc with a syringe etc just to be sure of some early lubrication or am I worrying too much (this engine won't have run for 10 - 15 years).
Thank you in advance!
ajscomboman

Re: Tappet Cover Sealing options..

Post by ajscomboman »

it's called a fillet (014229) ROCKER BOX FILLET it's in the dedicated gasket area in the single engine section
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

You don't say which of your bikes, the '43 or '55. However all the following applies.
This is going to sound pedantic, Nick, but just for future clarification...…
The tappets are located between the bottom end of the pushrods and the cams. Behind the cover at the top are the Rockers. ;)

If the engine has been stripped and rebuilt there should have been sufficient oil used on reassembly.
If it hasn't been rebuilt I wouldn't trouble to use a syringe for the oil feeds but would introduce oil as far as I could reach inside the rocker box through the rocker cover. It's also a good idea to put some oil down to the tappets and timing gears via the top of the pushrod tubes seen inside the rocker cover and also fill the filter housing in the oil tank.
Since you're a worrier (your words!) be aware that it will take some time before you see oil returning to the tank so have a read of this thread in the FAQs:
http://www.jampot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13368

As far as which oil you could find hours of reading (and numerous opinions) if you search the previous threads on here. I use the oils recommended in the Owners Manual.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Boycey

Post by Boycey »

Thank you guys, found it!

Yep, rocker box seal would be the correct, just my poor terminology again, the cam followers are most definitely not up top on a G3!
The bike is the 1955, the 43 is still living in boxes and probably will do so for some time yet.
Thanks for your help, pedants or not, all input appreciated as always.