Centre stand, easy-handling solution?

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
MalcW

Re: Centre stand, easy-handling solution?

Post by MalcW »

Dibnah wrote:My centre stand has seen better days, it keeps both wheels firmly planted on the ground. Does Rob's stand reduce ground clearance on cornering (Matchless 500) ?
I can't comment on a 500 specifically, but I have no problem on my twin (duplex frame, Avon Roadrider tyres).

Malc
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

MalcW wrote:
Dibnah wrote:My centre stand has seen better days, it keeps both wheels firmly planted on the ground. Does Rob's stand reduce ground clearance on cornering (Matchless 500) ?
I can't comment on a 500 specifically, but I have no problem on my twin (duplex frame, Avon Roadrider tyres).

Malc
Think of it as a safety device, if you try to overdo the cornering it'll keep you within the safe boundaries of the machine. :rofl: I have touched the arm down but most of the time it's due to camber. When pushing on a bit on the earlier square bend arms it touched earlier. The later curved arms give 1/2" more clearance. Doesn't sound a lot but helps a little should you wish to earhole along the bends.
Dibnah

Post by Dibnah »

Thanks for the quick replies
mdt-son

Post by mdt-son »

ajscomboman wrote: Just had a batch of single type done. My welder came out of hibernation especially.
Hi Rob,

What is the difference between single and twin stands? Pedal arm?

Another question: In 1963, AJS/M switched to 18" wheels. in theory ground clearance should improve a little when on the center stand, but in reality ....?
The rolling circumference (and hence, the wheel radius) may not have changed much?

-Knut
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Difference is how much the arm stick out, singles and Siamese are moved in by 35mm as there is no pipe to clear. As for the wheel reduction dia the shocks are a little longer but on a standard roadster the standard stand is fine, on CSR's and CS it needs the taller version and the G15CS's are taller still as the shock length is a good 1" plus longer.