Centre stand, easy-handling solution?

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
tippi11

Centre stand, easy-handling solution?

Post by tippi11 »

Good morning,
Does anyone know a kind of easy handling/easy roll-over centre stand? I am quite sure that I saw an advert or other publication offering this “special” stand, but I can´t remember where to find it, Jampot magazine, forum etc. Depending on my varying fitness it is a real challenge to get my G3 up to the standard centre stand – so I am looking for a modified stand making things easier.
Thank you, regards, Peter
Taid

Re: Centre stand, easy-handling solution?

Post by Taid »

Rob Swift .. seehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2796DVBIueA does a foot assisted stand .. currently (Thank you Covid) only the twin version is available, but it can be modified (cut and weld) for singles ..
___

Now sold ... 1956 AJS 16MS Bitsa .. HSU 414 .. rebuilt/re-registered 1987
clive

Post by clive »

There is an advert with contact details in the trade section of the adverts pages in the Jampot mag.

There we have between us Taid and I havedone it for you Rob so behave.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

I just fitted to my G80S, it's just great for getting on (and off).

I think the cut and weld bit relates to maximum neatness for singles but anyone who's sseeen my machine will know it's function that I want rather than aesthetics.

Johnny B
tippi11

Post by tippi11 »

Ups, my fault - I missed to read the complete content of Rob´s advert when checking the magazines.
Thank you, regards, Peter
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Taid wrote:Rob Swift .. seehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2796DVBIueA does a foot assisted stand .. currently (Thank you Covid) only the twin version is available, but it can be modified (cut and weld) for singles ..
Just had a batch of single type done. My welder came out of hibernation especially.
Taid

Post by Taid »

As an aside to the topic .. when on the centre stand, should both wheels be on the ground?
___

Now sold ... 1956 AJS 16MS Bitsa .. HSU 414 .. rebuilt/re-registered 1987
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

If everything's in good nick I'd say the back wheel should be about 1" or so off the ground. My 1960 model 20 was a swine to put on the stand and the wheels were well and truly on the ground. I fitted on of Rob's excellent stands and now it's so easy to put on the stand and the back wheel is 1" off the ground. Also it's easy to take off the stand, it was very hard work before!
Dave.
clive

Post by clive »

Taid wrote:As an aside to the topic .. when on the centre stand, should both wheels be on the ground?
I think the original position was that one wheel was off the ground normally the front when on the centre stand, allowing either front or rear puncture to be addressed. As the feet and stop lugs wear and both wheels end up touching. Depends of course what tyre sizes you are running.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

On mine, Rob seems to have almost reached the balance point. It's really easy to swap the tyre off the ground at eaither end.

Johnny B