Centre stand, easy-handling solution?

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Taid

Re: Centre stand, easy-handling solution?

Post by Taid »

Something seriously adrift with my stand then ..
Capture.JPG
Couple of blocks of brass brazed onto feet .. and both wheels touch floor .. maybe stops badly worn . (frame or stand?)

Got one of Rob's stands on order,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
___

Now sold ... 1956 AJS 16MS Bitsa .. HSU 414 .. rebuilt/re-registered 1987
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Taid wrote:Something seriously adrift with my stand then ..
Capture.JPG
Couple of blocks of brass brazed onto feet .. and both wheels touch floor .. maybe stops badly worn . (frame or stand?)

Got one of Rob's stands on order,

Boxed and ready to go tomorrow.
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

I'd like one of Rob's stands on my G80CS but it has a 21" front wheel and the centre stand has "extensions" cast onto the foot of each leg to suit the larger wheel. Probably not enough demand to make a batch of "specials" worthwhile. :(
20200613_120108.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Pharisee wrote:I'd like one of Rob's stands on my G80CS but it has a 21" front wheel and the centre stand has "extensions" cast onto the foot of each leg to suit the larger wheel. Probably not enough demand to make a batch of "specials" worthwhile. :(
20200613_120108.jpg
Silly boy, been making them all the time for CS as well as standard ones. I have 1 left that was in use on a CSR twin and would need the arm moved in for a CS. In the next batch I'll be doing Standard, CS and even taller ones for the G15 CS but they will be in very limited numbers.
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

ajscomboman wrote:
Pharisee wrote:I'd like one of Rob's stands on my G80CS but it has a 21" front wheel and the centre stand has "extensions" cast onto the foot of each leg to suit the larger wheel. Probably not enough demand to make a batch of "specials" worthwhile. :(
20200613_120108.jpg
Silly boy, been making them all the time for CS as well as standard ones. I have 1 left that was in use on a CSR twin and would need the arm moved in for a CS. In the next batch I'll be doing Standard, CS and even taller ones for the G15 CS but they will be in very limited numbers.
Doh... !!
No hurry... When the new batch of CS stands are available, put me down for one, please. I'm really looking forward to the fight with the spring :( :(
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
Taid

Post by Taid »

Pharisee wrote:.......................................................................... I'm really looking forward to the fight with the spring :( :(
Before I worry too much about the spring, i'm bothered about where to have the bike while I change the stand .. difficult to do on my ramp, unless I have lots of straps to hold it safely without the stand .. not sure I could lean it on the side stand while on the ramp .. if the bike's on the ground, there isn't much room to works, especially with my creaking joints .. and should I somehow fix the machine upright, or put it on the side stand .. things are easier with a car .. just put stands under the axles .. and just turn a push-bike over onto the bars and saddle ....
___

ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

If you don't have a bike lift then axle stands is the best way but remove the tension on the footrest rod first as I've found that if the nuts aren't released on the footrest sometimes the rails are squeezed in and it causes aggro when trying to fit the spring and spacer.
Taid

Post by Taid »

ajscomboman wrote:If you don't have a bike lift then axle stands is the best way but remove the tension on the footrest rod first as I've found that if the nuts aren't released on the footrest sometimes the rails are squeezed in and it causes aggro when trying to fit the spring and spacer.

So that is the job put off until this lockdown relaxes a bit more and I can get somebody in to help .. thought I might get a paddock stand, but I do have axle stands .. I've got time to consider .. thanks ..
___

Post by 1608 »

There are a number of different designs for centre stands depending on the make of bike. The best I have found so far is the one on my Ariel Huntmaster. The stand has rounded feet welded to it enabling the bike to simply roll-on and roll-off with very little effort. But, they are a well known weak point and have needed strengthening with weld.
Dibnah

Post by Dibnah »

My centre stand has seen better days, it keeps both wheels firmly planted on the ground. Does Rob's stand reduce ground clearance on cornering (Matchless 500) ?