broken clutch cable

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Pharisee

Re: broken clutch cable

Post by Pharisee »

I bought two clutch cables from different suppliers (no names, no pack drill). Neither of them fitted correctly. On one, the inner cable was too short, even with the gearbox adjuster screwed right in, and couldn't be fitted. The other fitted OK but with correct clutch adjustment, the cable adjuster was only engaged with the gearbox by about three threads. In the end, I bought a heavy duty (7mm o/d outer) kit from Venhill and made the cable up myself. Very smooth action with the Teflon liner and much lighter action than previously.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
ajscomboman

Re: broken clutch cable

Post by ajscomboman »

Pharisee wrote:I bought two clutch cables from different suppliers (no names, no pack drill). Neither of them fitted correctly. On one, the inner cable was too short, even with the gearbox adjuster screwed right in, and couldn't be fitted. The other fitted OK but with correct clutch adjustment, the cable adjuster was only engaged with the gearbox by about three threads. In the end, I bought a heavy duty (7mm o/d outer) kit from Venhill and made the cable up myself. Very smooth action with the Teflon liner and much lighter action than previously.
That I'm not surprised at and it's for the same reason I make my own, however we're talking about a 24cm difference! Something has got to be completely different to a standard set up or the routing very different to be that far adrift.

Today I've had the pleasure of playing with a L/W clutch cable! Heavy and as notchy as hell. Swapped the pivot pin out, changed to brass nipple, lubed the cable. No difference. Pulled it all apart rerouted it the most ridiculous way between the gearbox and plates and bingo! Smooth as you like, but what a faff if you ever have to change it. Gotta love L/W's! :headbang: