Lucas N1 Magneto Points spanner

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Angelo

Lucas N1 Magneto Points spanner

Post by Angelo »

Hi - can anyone help me with the size of the Lucas N1 Mag points spanner - is it 3BA? Nine if my mag set fit and 3BA is not one so thought it might be that or even some other size.

How do people get around the difficult to tighten lock nut?

Anyone got a spare original spanner they wish to sell?

Thanks and be safe
Greybeard

Re: Lucas N1 Magneto Points spanner

Post by Greybeard »

Why not simply file out/bend a couple of the smaller ones you never use to fit? Or buy another cheap set to tweak?

Steve
Angelo

Post by Angelo »

Greybeard wrote:Why not simply file out/bend a couple of the smaller ones you never use to fit? Or buy another cheap set to tweak?

Steve
Looking at the owners manual the original has the feeler gauge and both an open and ring end which are bent slightly to get into the awkward space. Yes I could make one but it would be nice to have a correct one. Cheers
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Get the original builder of the bike to knock you one up and tell him it should have come with the bike!!! ;) ;) I know what reply you'll get from him. :rofl: :rofl:
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

If you do a search on flea bite for magneto spanners you'll find a load. Hope that helps Angelo
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
Angelo

Post by Angelo »

It's the size I need to be sure of - does anyone know for sure what size it is? I think it's 3BA but not sure.

I can find and buy or I can make no problem but I would like the original
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Do you have an electronic caliper or a micrometer, if so you can measure the AF size, (for 3BA it will be 0.282" - see attached)

https://www.ba-bolts.co.uk/faq.html

Regards Mick
Groily

Post by Groily »

I think it should be 4ba. I don 't think a 3ba nut would have clearance ref the casting adjacent.

I have seen locknuts of different size from the fixed point head too. I use a set of mag spanners - the sort that are marked with numbers and riveted to hold all 8 together at one end, backed up by a set of 'ignition' spanners going up in 64ths of an inch, some with outer jaws ground narrower. The ones I use most are quarter AF / 4ba, and 15/64ths.

Not sure if replacement points always come with original size nuts either. They certainly don't for camring Lucas points, where locknuts are often too large and very hard to do up / undo. Could be a q of what hex bar sizes are available for making the nuts, wherever they may come from!
MikeM.

Post by MikeM. »

I use a 4BA spanner on my N1mag points, I also use a metric spanner but can say which as it's pitch black in the garage now!
MikeM.

Post by MikeM. »

Re metric spanner for mag points. the spanner has 6mm stamped on it and looks like approx a quarter of an inch gap.