16M G3 Rocker oil returns blanked off

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
59G3LS

16M G3 Rocker oil returns blanked off

Post by 59G3LS »

I have three rocker covers for my 56 16M, the original had a broken stud thread casting at the inspection cover but the two oil returns at the top, behind the rocker arms are clear.

The two replacement covers, which have both been vapour/glass bead/sand blasted by previous owner have both oil returns blocked off by what looks like brass blanking plugs.

Is this normal? Or is it an attempt to increase oil flow to the rocker shafts?

Regards Mark - Perth Australia
IMG_2938.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
56G80S

Re: 16M G3 Rocker oil returns blanked off

Post by 56G80S »

IKBA but I've covered many 10k's since I replaced the rocker bushes and despite a little abuse they're still OK and those little spray points onto the arms work well, I checked some time ago by temporarily fitting a transparent cover (bit of food container cut to size!).

I'm sure there's been a thread about this before but I can't recall the words in the title for a search. I can't think that the cost of fitting them would be met unless they were thought important. Would've thought that they could be refitted. Or get the original welded?

Johnny B

Post by 1608 »

There should be brass metering plugs with a 1/32" drilling in them. The plugs in your photo appear to have been blocked or punch over, perhaps to prevent the ingress of the blasting medium used. If it were me I would replace them.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

There was a similar question to this raised a year of so ago, a search may revel it, some plugs on early twins (Yes I know we are talking singles) have a flat on one side to act as the flow restriction these may be the same its difficult to see in the picture.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

On late 250 L/W's they are blanked off.
REW

Post by REW »

These plugs have a flat in them to "leak" a bit of oil - not as precise as a drilling but correct. Year to year this varied. Like John's, mine looks like this and has done lots of miles. I will try to find my thread on this.
Ron

1951 Matchless G3L thumping round the Durham Dales.
59G3LS

Post by 59G3LS »

Thanks to all who have replied, after a bit more research on this site (I should have been more thorough!) and the use of two pairs of glasses, the blanking plugs are in fact metering plugs with a flat close to the bottom of the hole. I believe the early ones had nozzles/jets and later ones the metering plugs.

What a great site for information this is!