oil leak?

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
NaughtyNetley

oil leak?

Post by NaughtyNetley »

Hi, My '59 G3 is running well and I have put over 1,000 miles on it since returning it to the road.
I have an oil leak from the oil pump guide pin. I wiped the whole area clean this morning with a view to starting it but when I returned an hour later there was definitely oil leaking from the bolt. There doesn't appear to be any sort of washer or O ring.
Is the system under pressure as I wondered if I removed the pin would the plunger move?
Is there a way to seal these?
Thanks
Neil
clive

Re: oil leak?

Post by clive »

If you remove the guide pin there is a risk that the pump will slide down under its own weight. In order to get the pin back if it moves you will then need to take the front endcap of and move the pump back so you can engage the pin. There is no fibre washer or rubber seal. If the leak is annoying i would be inclined to turn the pin body out about 1 turn which should leave the pin still engaged and then wrap some PTFE plumbers tape round the gap. Never needed to do this though.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
NaughtyNetley

Post by NaughtyNetley »

Thanks Clive. It has been fine since rebuilding and has only just started. Very odd. I will try the PTFE.
clive

Post by clive »

Are you certain its not running down from the rear pump cover or the oil pipes. I have had much more trouble from those points than the guidepin.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
NaughtyNetley

Post by NaughtyNetley »

Looks like the pin to me. Big drip on the end, and sometimes holding the throttle 😉
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

You seem to have a non standard washer/seal around the end cap - not sure what this is but I'd remove it.

To seal the threads I'd remove the body and thoroughly de-grease it's thread and the mating thread in the crank case, re -assemble using Wellseal on the threads, (let it go tacky before assembly).

As long as you don't rotate the engine while the pin is out the pump shouldn't move - if it does it will only be slightly and you should be able to re-align it via the pin 'hole'.

Regards Mick
NaughtyNetley

Post by NaughtyNetley »

Apologies but by the end cap do you mean the blanking plate for the Oil plunger?
All spares have come from the owners club or AMC spares.
I have removed the pin and it is not a great fit so I've used a little PTFE tape and I'll report back.
Thanks.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Sorry - my bad terminology. I was referring to the 'screwed body' that retains the guide pin.

Good luck with PTFE tape - in my opinion Wellseal would be a better choice.

Regards Mick
NaughtyNetley

Post by NaughtyNetley »

Not at all Mick, I'm very much still learning what everything is.
I think what you saw was actually shadow as there is no washer between the pin guide screw and the crank case.
I used a little ptfe, though I'm sure you're right about the wellseal, and had a ride out of about 10 miles and the picture was taken after. A small leakage from the end cap but nothing evident around the guide screw.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Be very careful with the end cap bolts. It is very easy to snap these and if a snapped one is against the crankcase extremely difficult to remedy. I did this once (I was only in early 20's then and more hamfisted).

Johnny B