Primary drive leak and rear light

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
PaulW

Primary drive leak and rear light

Post by PaulW »

Hi all,

I am pleased to say that my 1952 16/ms is running well after being laid up for at least 40yrs according to the dvla as it wasn't on their computer.

When it warms up, the primary drive cover leaks quite a bit, I understand this is a common problem. The original rubber seal part number is 016294, this isn't listed under the spares scheme. Am I right in thinking that there is an improved version? It's not clear to me on the info supplied.

Also, I have a rear light that has two bulbs, one for the tail light, one for the stop light. I can't locate a replacement lens as I'm struggling to identify the reference for this model light.

Thanks in advance.
dave16mct

Re: Primary drive leak and rear light

Post by dave16mct »

That original rubber seal was only used for a short time. The usual type we normally see is a 'u' shape (and leaks). There is an improved type in the spares scheme which does work very well- 018652AD.
Dave
Group Leader

Post by Group Leader »

The new big, squidgy seal available from the club seems to work a treat.

Don't forget to put the joint at the top where the oil isn't ....

Alan
1953 AJS 16MS, 1939 BSA 250 and a 1/3 scale Sopwith Triplane but that's another story ..... :lol:
Taid

Post by Taid »

Fitting the new type seal .. it is basically a modified "T" shape with the upright trapped between the inner and outer case .. it comes as a length not as a loop .. (see below)

From the "Leaking primary cases!" thread
dave16mct wrote:....................... You will need to add a washer or 2 to make room for the new seal to fit. It will be about an inch too long so cut it to length and put the joint at the top. Glue the ends if you like, I don't bother. Assemble carefully (Centre nut finger tight, band on, tap around with rubber mallet as you tighten band. Tighten centre nut. Pray to the chaincase gods!) and most important, don't put too much oil in. It only needs just enough to barely touch the bottom of the chain.
Dave.
I put a smear of Vaseline around the inside of the band to help it tighten evenly ..
___

Now sold ... 1956 AJS 16MS Bitsa .. HSU 414 .. rebuilt/re-registered 1987
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

Thank you so much for the advice, I will order tomorrow.