Frame

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
smileyinfrance

Re: Frame

Post by smileyinfrance »

Just a small matter of telling DVLA that somebody forgot to put the A before the VIN number on the V5c, thats going to be interesting.
Ian Harvey
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

16MS had the same frame as 18S in 1956. Only in '57 were they were very slightly different. It looks like you've a '56 model with correct frame and engine. Also gearbox, forks, wheels etc all look about right for '56. It looks a nice bike to ride, bit of green laning etc.
I think if I were you I wouldn't inform the DVLA of the missing'A' on the V5C. You might be opening up a whole can of worms and giving yourself a world of pain for nothing!
Dave.
smileyinfrance

Post by smileyinfrance »

Thanks Dave, it is just that I will be taking it to France and they make DVLA seem very easy going in comparison with the paperwork. I might just try phoning DVLA and having a polite off the record chat
Ian Harvey
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Good idea. By the way can't you just keep it as UK registered? I know several members who do that.
Dave.
smileyinfrance

Post by smileyinfrance »

I might try, but with Brexit it has messed a lot of things up in France, amongst them trying to get a bike with British plates insured
Ian Harvey
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

dave16mct wrote:16MS had the same frame as 18S in 1956. Only in '57 were they were very slightly different. It looks like you've a '56 model with correct frame and engine. Also gearbox, forks, wheels etc all look about right for '56. It looks a nice bike to ride, bit of green laning etc.
I think if I were you I wouldn't inform the DVLA of the missing'A' on the V5C. You might be opening up a whole can of worms and giving yourself a world of pain for nothing!
Dave.
Rear end doesn't look correct if the pillion mounting lugs are on the rear subframe. No CS ever had rear pegs fitted. We are talking about Singles and NOT Twins as they did.
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

ajscomboman wrote:
dave16mct wrote:16MS had the same frame as 18S in 1956. Only in '57 were they were very slightly different. It looks like you've a '56 model with correct frame and engine. Also gearbox, forks, wheels etc all look about right for '56. It looks a nice bike to ride, bit of green laning etc.
Dave.
Rear end doesn't look correct if the pillion mounting lugs are on the rear subframe. No CS ever had rear pegs fitted.
My twin has them ;)
Roy
Groily

Post by Groily »

smileyinfrance wrote:I might try, but with Brexit it has messed a lot of things up in France, amongst them trying to get a bike with British plates insured
Yup. it's a bit of a b*gger and will only get harder, as importation & re-registration from ex-EU ('third countries') is hard compared to from within.
I smell hassle. Luckily or otherwise, the memsahib has me on a leash which makes further acquisitions from afar a bit difficult . . . so I might not do any more importing. I've done a dozen, rather more in fact, and it was getting harder by the year. Partly because more attention is being paid everywhere to fakes, frauds, dodgy numbers etc, and partly because systems have got less inefficient. Woe, woe!
That said, France is still a great country for running classic and vintage machinery, which is still regarded benignly compared to some places.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

G15 Roy wrote:
ajscomboman wrote:
Dave.
Rear end doesn't look correct if the pillion mounting lugs are on the rear subframe. No CS ever had rear pegs fitted.
My twin has them ;)
Do you know I was just about to go in and edit to state singles only, you just had to beat me to it!! I'm well aware Twins had them but never a single.
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

I never said it was a CS Rob. It's obviously been built from a road model to use for green laning. I think it's a nice looking bike. I see the sidecar lug has been ground off to save a bit of weight.
Dave.