Parts for AJS 16MS

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
RLane

Parts for AJS 16MS

Post by RLane »

Hi Everyone.
New member :-) Just wanted to check a few part numbers for my 1954 16MS. I have tried to find a parts manual on the site but no joy. The magnet in my sump drain plug has disintegrated so I need a new one which I believe it's 000575M, will replace the filter at same time with 000796.

The part I am not sure about is the RH pillion foot rest. The one I have on the RH side doesnt stop at 90 degrees when put down and ends up resting on the exhaust. Its missing the extra metal lug that sticks out. I can see one on the parts list 021641 that looks like it is the right one but its for bikes from 1955 onwards. Also 042568 which looks like it might be ok as well. Any advice ?
Cheers
Roger
Rob Harknett

Re: Parts for AJS 16MS

Post by Rob Harknett »

dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

The pillion footrest you need is 011518.
Dave
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Just be aware that 000575M is an aftermarket part as the original drain plug had no magnet. Also before screwing fully home double check that the magnet does NOT bottom out against the cranckcase and does not block the oil pickup return hole. So far no returns have been logged from people using this magnetic plug so they've been successful and I can confirm our club treasurer has fitted it to both early twins and singles. It was actually his recommendation that they maybe worth stocking.
RLane

Post by RLane »

Brilliant! Thanks everyone for your quick replies. The links will be very handy 😊
RLane

Post by RLane »

It appears that the Pillion foot rest is out of stock or maybe not available :-(

In this case will either of the other parts mentioned in my first email fit? or does anyone have a spare that they would be willing to sell?

Thanks R
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Usually some on ebay. Here's a pair: 313197781678
Dave
RLane

Post by RLane »

Just a quick update, thanks Dave for the link to ebay (ggod shout !), I bid and got the pillion foot rests and after a rub down and spray, fitted it yesterday and all is well, and it only cost about £11 for 2.
The oil filter worked well but the drain plug 00575M turned out to be too small, so I have refitted the old one (with only half the magnet left) for now to keep the bike road worthy and will keep my eyes open for the correct plug. I believe the shop dont do returns so if some one needs a 00575M let me know.

I have a judder when braking with the front brake which I believe to be the shoes out of alignment, I will address this in the winter months. I am moving to Yeovil area at the end of September and would be keen to know if there are any members near DT9 6NH.
Cheers
Roger
clive

Post by clive »

If 000575 does not fit as it is too small, that is strange as it is the listed part number for the 54 crankcase. You mention that the plug you have is a magnet one but the 54 would not have had a magnet (the club have produced a modified part), so I wonder if the thread stripped earlier and a PO tapped the hole out to take the later magnetic plug which was larger (56 on).
perhaps 022538 (available in the club spares) is what you need at least if you try that and it does not fit you will know that what you do have on the bike is a one off item and you might be better simply replacing the magnet.

judder on the front brake might be the shoes but could also be wear in the fork bushes and/or play in the steering bearings.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix