1952 FORKS

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
PaulW

1952 FORKS

Post by PaulW »

Hi again,

I got some really great help last time about my oil leak and I am trying to work through the issues I think and know that I have with my 52 16MS. I can't find anything helpful on Youtube or the forum and Mr Haynes won't supply me with one of his wonderful manuals.

The bike seems to handle strangely, I wasn't sure if it was the old, square tyres, but the forks seem to have far too much movement in them where there shouldn't be any. If I hold the front brake on and rock the bike back and forward the bike moves forward a little as the forks give in the middle, I assume that bushing is shot, the movement isn't very obvious in the photo. I've not yet checked for fork oil, although there seems to be precious little in them judging by the movement.

Am I correct in thinking I might need the following:

2x 010692 1 1/8 FORK TUBE STEEL BUSH; 1 1/8"Fork Tube steel bush; 1949-54 also use for 40-G12M-FF191
1x 015286 PLASTIC BUSH REPLACES 010700 Plastic Bush front forks SUPPLIED IN PAIRS
1x 010718 OIL SEAL PAIR Oil Seal (Interchangeable With 017569)
or
1x 010718DL OIL SEAL 1 1/8 FORKS - DOUBLE LIP (PAIR)
1x 800066 CHART; TELEDRAULIC FORKS -1954

015286 is listed on the AJS parts list for the model, but 010700 isn't, so slightly confused, but guess this is correct.
Should I go with 010718 or 010718DL and what are the benefits?
Will the 1954 fork chart help me understand the 1952 better? There isn't a photo of it on the spares scheme.

Sorry for all these questions, I'm trying to understand as best and as quickly as I can.

Thank you in advance to reading my ramblings.
Andy51

Re: 1952 FORKS

Post by Andy51 »

Hi, in my experience most wear likely to be in plastic bushes. Steel bush less likely to wear, but the inside of the alloy slider can wear or be scored, not much you can do about this except replace slider. Most likely cause of oil leak/loss is the bolt holding damper tube to slider (goes upwards through bottom of slider) - the fibre washer deteriorates or could be missed out by PO. My 1st G80 failed MoT in the early 70s due to plastic bush wear. Back then you couldn't get replacements, so a toolmaker mate made me up a bronze pair - better than plastic, I believe you can get bronze versions today from Jampot spares or Steve Surbey. Cheers, Andy
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

Andy51 wrote:Hi, in my experience most wear likely to be in plastic bushes. Steel bush less likely to wear, but the inside of the alloy slider can wear or be scored, not much you can do about this except replace slider. Most likely cause of oil leak/loss is the bolt holding damper tube to slider (goes upwards through bottom of slider) - the fibre washer deteriorates or could be missed out by PO. My 1st G80 failed MoT in the early 70s due to plastic bush wear. Back then you couldn't get replacements, so a toolmaker mate made me up a bronze pair - better than plastic, I believe you can get bronze versions today from Jampot spares or Steve Surbey. Cheers, Andy

Thanks Andy
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

The exploded drawings for the forks tend to be better in the Instruction manuals, see here for 1952:

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Owners_m ... Manual.pdf

Start at page 52

Regards Mick
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

Mick D wrote:Hi

The exploded drawings for the forks tend to be better in the Instruction manuals, see here for 1952:

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Owners_m ... Manual.pdf

Start at page 52

Regards Mick
Thanks Mick, this is indeed better.
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

This is a shot of one of my '54 G3LS fork legs after being dismantled.
fork.jpg
You might find this helpful... or not!

http://www.whatfunnyhat.com/Frame_Stuff/Fork_Tool.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

Pharisee wrote:This is a shot of one of my '54 G3LS fork legs after being dismantled.
fork.jpg
You might find this helpful... or not!

http://www.whatfunnyhat.com/Frame_Stuff/Fork_Tool.html
Very helpful thanks.

Just one thing that hasn't been answered is which oil seal I should order, single or double lip? I know from previous experience that I need to know exactly what I am ordering before contacting the parts line.