Rear Mudguard Advice..

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Cakeboy

Rear Mudguard Advice..

Post by Cakeboy »

Hi. I intended to get the rear mudguard on my 1957 G3/LS power coated, but when he had cleaned it ready for coating, it looked like it had been hit by a shotgun peppered with small holes and quite a bit of thin metal in various places despite 'feeling' solid.
I'll be taking it to a body repair place (when I find suitable) to get an opinion, but I'm also looking at replacement options.
I'm assuming 2nd hand versions will more than likely suffer from the same thing (mine looked fine with paint on), so I'm looking at pattern alternatives but the only steel option I've found is from one of the Indian companies, and they don't publish part numbers so worried if it will fit or not.
Does anyone have any experience of these fitting OK?
Are there any Uk versions?
..there are quite a few different (?) Indian companies selling them.

Any advice much appreciated.
Last edited by Cakeboy on Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pharisee

Re: Rear Mudguard Advice..

Post by Pharisee »

I fitted a pair of Indian mudguards to my '54 G3/LS. The rear one was hinged, but I was OK with that as the bike was a 'bitza' anyway. They were well made from heavy gauge steel and finished in grey primer. There were only two slight problems. The rear was about half an inch narrower than the original, so I had to fit a couple of spacers where the grabrail/support handles attached to the frame at the jampot top bolts. All the mounting holes were in the correct positions. The original front mudguard had one, centrally located fixing bolt at the bottom to fix the front stand/mudguard support. The new mudguard had two holes spaced a couple of inches apart. I had to fill those and drill a new one in the right location. When they were painted and on the bike they looked perfect.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
Mick D

Re: Rear Mudguard Advice..

Post by Mick D »

Hi

If you decide to go for a repro mudguard please pass the original on to someone who has the means to repair it. Original items are getting difficult to source but with care, skill, patience, (and a MIG welder), you would be surprised at what can be returned to service.

Body shops have to make a profit - enthusiasts not so.

Regards Mick